Subject: [BEEPwg] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.0.12 'Despite the neons' release is ready!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:55:30 +0100

############################################
          ##          Vortex Library 1.0.12         ##
          ##       "Despite the neons release"      ##
          ############################################

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce the Vortex
  Library 1.0.12 "Despite the neons" release availability: an open
  source "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto
  TCP/IP.

  Vortex Library has been developed inside the Af-Arch project as its
  data transport layer.

  Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
  development toolkit. Currently it is running under Microsoft Windows
  and GNU/Linux platforms.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex
      [Vortex Library homepage]
 
    - http://www.sf.net/projects/vortexlibrary
      [Sources and Win32 binaries]

    - http://fact.aspl.es
      [Af-Arch homepage where Vortex Library is being developed]

    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core community web site]

    - http://www.aspl.es/xml
      [Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
    
The release in short
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Many new interesting features like allowing to defer the decision to
  create a channel (better integration with async client notifications
  and GUI applications), functions to shutdown listeners (and
  connections associated due to its function) and several API
  updates...
  
  Started a deep internal change to make the library to store all its
  state (context) into an external object (VortexCtx). This will solve
  some issues at the windows platform while using Vortex through
  Turbulence. Moreover this change will allow to have several Vortex
  Library context, with different states running inside the same
  process. At this moment all changes introduced are limited to avoid
  API changes.

Special note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Current release will be the last one for 1.0.X series. The next
  series will include an API update to make the library full
  context-based. A change notification will be produced with the
  concrete change.

  The intention with this release is to finish an cycle, without
  changing the API, providing a latest stable and tested release.

Change notifications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  None.

Thanks to..
~~~~~~~~~~~

  Benoit Amiaux (provided really useful comments and patches to improve
  the library memory utilization, a portable implementation to destroy
  threads and several minor fixings for the windows platform..thanks
  dude, keep close ;-)

Changes since 1.0.11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* [fix] Applied Benoit Amiaux patch to make realloc functions to call
  to axl defined implementation.

* [new] Updated vortex library start channel notification to allow
  decoupling the notification from the the reply. Now the application
  will be able to call vortex_channel_defer_start to signal vortex
  engine to not reply at this moment. Later, a call to
  vortex_channel_notify_start confirms if the channel is accepted to
  be created. API added:

    - vortex_channel_notify_start_internal
    - vortex_channel_notify_start

* [new] Added a new function to the vortex connection module that
  allows to get a reference to the listener connection that accepted a
  particular connection instance. API added:

   - vortex_connection_get_listener

* [fix] Making vortex_channel_notify_start to not require providing
  the serverName value. It is internally stored by the channel until
  it is used for the notification.

* [new] Updated vortex channel API to allow configuring a handler
  which is called once the reference is going to be removed from the
  connection.  This allows to detect channels not closed because the
  connection have failed. API added:

   - VortexOnClosedChannel (handler)
   - vortex_channel_set_closed_handler

* [fix] Making vortex_channel_notify_start to return a boolean value
  reporting if the notification was done (no matter the value
  notified).

* [fix] Making vortex channel on created notification to acquire a
  reference to the channel during the notification to avoid losing the
  reference.

* [fix] Updated vortex_listener_new/2/_full functions to include some
  information about the references returned and the way a listener
  could be closed (Reported by Benoit Amiaux).

* [fix] Committing more updates to the vortex listener documentation.

* [fix] Deep internal change to make vortex engine to hold all its
  library state into an object. This will allow to solve some issues
  at the windows platform and the way private data is handled inside
  dlls.

* [fix] Making vortex support module to be initialized/terminated from
  the vortex_init and vortex_exit to allow external modules to only
  init the support module.

* [fix] More updates to make initialization of the context to be not
  done directly from vortex_ctx_new but from each module called from
  vortex_init.

* [fix] Several updates to make vortex sequencer and vortex reader to
  be fully driven by the VortexCtx received at vortex_reader_run and
  vortex_sequencer_run.

* [new] Added missing API to destroy threads and fixed wrong vortex
  reader and sequencer termination. Reported and fixed by Amiaux
  Benoit. API added:

   - vortex_thread_destroy

* [fix] Updated API to allow provided the VortexCtx to some functions
  at the vortex io module:

   - VortexIoIsSetFdGroup (handler) 
   - VortexIoDispatchFunc (handler)
   - VortexIoDispatch (handler)
   - vortex_io_waiting_invoke_is_set_fd_group (function)
   - vortex_io_waiting_invoke_dispatch (function)

* [fix] Fixed wrong epoll set creation (twice created) making
  allocated file sets to grow with the time reaching the process
  limit. Fixed memory leak the vortex listener module (which wasn't
  unreferring a queue expecting other thread to do so...). Updated
  vortex log to not perform any operation if a context is not defined.

* [fix] Making xml-rpc-gen tool to include a reference to the file
  that was used as source inside the body header.

* [new] Added to new symbols that allows to initialize the library
context.
  API added:

   - vortex_init_ctx
   - vortex_exit_ctx

  Making previous API (vortex_init, vortex_exit) to relay on these
  function to provide backward compact.

* [new] Updated vortex listener module to include a function that
  allows to shutdown a listener and all its associated connections
  created due to its function. API added:

   - vortex_listener_shutdown

* [fix] Making vortex_listener_init to not acquire the mutex if it is
  found that an initialization was already done.

* [fix] More fixings to the thread implementation, missing call to
  release thread attribute (Reported and fixed by Benoit Amiaux).

* [fix] Making vortex_connection_remove_on_close_full to use
  axl_list_remove_ptr rather axl_list_remove to *really* remove the
  handler installed (Reported by Benoit Amiaux).

* [fix] Fixed missing BEGIN_C_DECLS declaration at vortex thread
  module. Fixings to variables inside ctx for the windows platform.
  Updates to the libvortex.def file. (Reported and fixed by Benoit
  Amiaux).

* [fix] making vortex_init_ctx to not configure the context
  (vortex_ctx_ctx).

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is leading the Af-Arch project: a
  complete framework to develop distributed application to manage
  enterprise process.

  Af-Arch project relies on Vortex Library to exchange data between
  its distributed nodes.

  Advanced Software Production Line also provides GNU/Linux support
  and consulting services to help organization to introduce GNU/Linux
  inside its process.

  Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
  and/or BEEP based development services.

  You can reach us:

       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

  We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!  

--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
12th dec 2007, Madrid (Spain)

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://drakken.dbc.mtview.ca.us/mailman/listinfo/beepwg