Subject: [BEEPwg] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.0.13 'The denial twist' release is ready!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:58:57 +0100

############################################
          ##          Vortex Library 1.0.13         ##
          ##        "The denial twist release"      ##
          ############################################

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce the Vortex
  Library 1.0.13 "The denial twist" release availability: an open
  source "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto
  TCP/IP.

  Vortex Library has been developed inside the Af-Arch project as its
  data transport layer.

  Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
  development toolkit. Currently it is running under Microsoft Windows
  and GNU/Linux platforms.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex
      [Vortex Library homepage]
 
    - http://www.sf.net/projects/vortexlibrary
      [Sources and Win32 binaries]

    - http://fact.aspl.es
      [Af-Arch homepage where Vortex Library is being developed]

    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core community web site]

    - http://www.aspl.es/xml
      [Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
    
The release in short
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Several bug fixes and library improvement have been integrated into
  this release, updating the library regression testwith more unit
  checks.
 
  Updated log management to allow an external function to handle
  it. Fixed and properly implemented the limited by a timeout connect
  (which wasn't working on previous releases) and fixed its function
  through a regression test.

Special note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Previous release mentioned: 

  "Current release will be the last one for 1.0.X series. The next
  series will include an API update to make the library full
  context-based. A change notification will be produced with the
  concrete change."

  This will not be the approach as announced to our customers and in
  the mail list [1]. In short, both branches will evolve in an
  independent manner.

  [1] http://lists.aspl.es/pipermail/vortex/2008-January/000342.html

Change notifications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  None.

Thanks to..
~~~~~~~~~~~

  Benoit Amiaux (for providing useful feedback, patches, etc,
  improving Vortex function on windows). Jens Alfke (for
  providing useful feedback and patches to solve bugs). 

Changes since 1.0.12
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* [fix] Documented VortexCtx object,

* [fix] Fixed xml-rpc-gen which wasn't initializing vortex support
  cleanup API. Fixed some calls to axl_stream_get_until_ref

* [fix] Making vortex listener regression test to check sasl support
  to be enabled. Reported and Fixed by Jens Alfke.

* [fix] Updated vortex_frame_is_error_message documentation to better
  describe its function. Reported by Jens Alfke.

* [fix] Several updates to add a "const" declaration and changing some
  declarations from char * to void * (Reported and fixed by Jens
  Alfke).

* [new] Updated the vortex log API to allow configuring if all
  log messages are synchronized to avoid messages to be mixed from
  different modules. (Reported by Jens Alfke). API added:

   - vortex_log_acquire_mutex
   - vortex_log_is_enabled_acquire_mutex

* [new] Updated vortex log API to allow the application level to
  provide a handler to manage all log produced by the application.
  Patch by Jens Alfke. API added:

   - VortexLogHandler
   - vortex_log_set_handler
   - vortex_log_get_handler

* [fix] Fixed wrong documentation (warnings and wrong references).

* [fix] Exarg Makefile.win fixings and fixed vortex-client.c wrong
  long type declaration.

* [fix] Updated xml-rpc-gen tool to support a new option that allows
  to configure additional search paths. Option added: --add-search-path.

* [fix] Making vortex close channel to acquire a reference to the
  connection during the close process, if the thread mode is
  activated, avoiding to lose the reference if the thread planner stop
  the close process and other running thread terminates the
  connection. Checked regression test.

* [fix] Making vortex_channel_is_opened to also check current
  connection status to report if the channel is *really* opened (not
  only its internal status).

* [fix] Fixed double deallocation error if the dtd module was not able
  to be initialized. Reported and fixed by Jens Alfke.

* [fix] Updated configure.ac to avoid pkg-config bug while disabling
  sasl interface.

* [fix] Patches to fix vortex thread pool inclusion and variable
  declaration at the top of _vortex_log_common (reported and fixed
  Benoit Amiaux).

* [fix] Fixed wrong connect timeout at vortex_connection_new which was
  mixing values returned by vortex_connection_get_connect_timeout
  (which returns microseconds) with values returned by time() (which
  does it in seconds). Problem reported and tracked down by Benoit
  Amiaux.

* [fix] Fixing documentation and parameter name to make
  vortex_connection_connect_timeout to receive a parameter that is
  supposed to hold a microseconds timeout value rather and
  seconds. (Reported by Benoit Amiaux).

* [fix] Applied patch to better detect msvc while disabling log
  produced (patch provided by Benoit Amiaux).

* [fix] Making frame reply restore to check for the new next seq no
  value to send.

* [fix] Integrated regression test from (1.1 series) to check out of
  order reply condition (inside the test_11). Checked that, without
  the patch it is possible to reproduce the problem.

* [fix] Applied patch [1/5] Disable loggin on msv2005. Reported by
  Benoit Amiaux.

* [fix] Applied patch [2/5] Fix invalid documentation and additional
  changes to make the parameter changed to conform at the function
  implemented. Fixed and reported by Benoit Amiaux.

* [fix] Committing a modified patch from Benoit Amiaux to improve
  vortex support module initialization: [4/5].

* [fix] Fixed missing mutex initialization code at the vortex
  connection module, which was causing to not start channel_mutex and
  channel_update_mutex depending on the peer side (listener or
  initiator). Unified mutex initialization code through an unique
  function: __vortex_connection_init_mutex. Bug reported by Jens
  Alfke.

* [fix] Removed not required mutex initialization code at vortex
  connection module due to previous change.

* [fix] Ensuring vortex_channel_build_single_pending_frames to
  properly configure the channel reference associated to the frame
  built (Bug and its fixing reported by Jens Alfke). Updated
  regression test to reproduce the problem and to check the fix
  introduced.

* [fix] Making vortex_listener_cleanup to check queue before
  unreferring.

* [fix] Making vortex_greetings_process to flag as a warning to not
  receiving a frame containing the greeting. Integrated change into
  1.0 and 1.1 branch.

* [fix] Making VortexSequencerData to hold a reference to the
  connection and to have a new flag to signal that a message
  to be sequenced must be discarded. Integrated into both
  branches 1.0 and 1.1.

* [new] Updated vortex handler module to include a foreach handler used
  by vortex_async_queue_foreach. Integrated into 1.0 and 1.1
  branches. API added:

   - VortexAsyncQueueForeach

* [new] Updated vortex async queue API to include a new function that
  allows to perform a foreach operation over all items stored, locking
  the queue during the operation. Integrated change into 1.0 and 1.1
  branches. API added:

   - vortex_async_queue_foreach

* [fix] Updated vortex sequencer internal function to drop all pending
  messages to be sequenced for connections that have been closed or
  flagged to be closed. Updated vortex main header to reorder main
  header inclusion. Change integrated into both branches 1.0 and 1.1.

* [fix] Making vortex_listener_shutdown to lock the caller during the
  process of close the listener and all associated connections.

* [fix] Making vortex listener to unref the connection after the
  initial and second step are finished, to avoid race conditions
  caused by a connection close in the middle of those states. Bug fix
  integrated into 1.0 and 1.1 branches.

* [fix] Improved connection timeout (connect operations with timeout
  activated) to really implement a global timeout for all the
  operation.  Previous implementation wasn't properly implementing all
  cases.  Integrated bug fix into 1.0 and 1.1 branches.

* [new] Updated vortex connection API to include two new functions
  that allows to block and check I/O read operations for a particular
  connection.  Integrated into both branches 1.0 and 1.1. API added:

   - vortex_connection_block
   - vortex_connection_is_blocked

* [fix] Making vortex connection module to signal vortex sequencer
  module to flag all its pending associated message to be discarded
  due to connection close. Fix integrated into both branches (1.0 and
  1.1).

* [fix] Making vortex reader module to check for blocked connections
  to avoid performing I/O reading over them and updated 
  vortex_reader_foreach internal API to return a queue where a 
  notification is provided. Bug fixes and updates integrated into
  both branches (1.0 and 1.1).

* [fix] Making vortex_frame_get_next to check for a connection not
  properly initialized, if an error is found, properly signaling the
  error rather a general connection broken. Updated both branches (1.0
  and 1.1).

* [fix] Committing missing change to export internal function from
  vortex sequencer (vortex_sequencer_drop_connection_messages).  Bug
  fixed in both branches.

* [fix] Integrated test_12 into general regression test.  Inside on
  both branches.

* [fix] Integrated TUNNEL regression test into main test (GREAT!).
  Integration performed on both branches (1.0 and 1.1).

* [fix] Fixing documentation warnings.

* [fix] Fixing minimal bug which was introducing doxygen comments
  without having them activated.

* [new] Updated vortex hash module to include a new function to remove
  items stored without calling to destroy function. Used this to
  implement new function to remove items stored as data associated to
  channels. API update applied to both branches (1.0 and 1.1) API
  added:

  - vortex_hash_delete
  - vortex_channel_delete_data

* [fix] Making vortex_connection_block to lock the caller until the
  connection is really blocked. Fix applied on both branches (1.0 and
  1.1).

* [fix] Making non-blocking connect with timeout activated to also
  check of I/O read ready before proceeding only on windows
  platform. Fix applied on both branches (1.0 and 1.1).

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is leading the Af-Arch project: a
  complete framework to develop distributed application to manage
  enterprise process.

  Af-Arch project relies on Vortex Library to exchange data between
  its distributed nodes.

  Advanced Software Production Line also provides GNU/Linux support
  and consulting services to help organization to introduce GNU/Linux
  inside its process.

  Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
  and/or BEEP based development services.

  You can reach us:

       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

  We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!  

--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
26th feb 2008, Madrid (Spain)

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://drakken.dbc.mtview.ca.us/mailman/listinfo/beepwg