Subject: [beepwg] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.1 'Masters or War' first public release for 1.1 series!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:42:01 +0100

###################################################
      ##              Vortex Library 1.1.0             ##
      ##            "Masters of War release"           ##
      ###################################################

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce the Vortex
  Library 1.1.0 "Masters of War" release availability: an open source
  "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto
  TCP/IP.

  Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
  development toolkit, with active support for Microsoft Windows and
  GNU/Linux platforms.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex
      [Vortex Library homepage]

    - http://www.aspl.es/turbulence
      [Turbulence BEEP server homepage]
 
    - http://www.sf.net/projects/vortexlibrary
      [Sources and Win32 binaries]

    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core community web site]

    - http://www.aspl.es/xml
      [Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
    
Vortex Library 1.1: next step into BEEP development
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  After one year of work, this is the first official release for
  Vortex Library 1.1 series which includes a new set of core changes
  and new features to make the library more usable and extensible than
  previous 1.0 series.

  #### Context based API ####

  Vortex Library 1.1 has a general API update to make the library
  context-based, storing all status and user configuration into an
  external opaque object inside the user space, making the library
  fully stateless.

  This allows to have several independent Vortex execution contexts
  inside the same process or doing administrative tasks like, for
  example stopping a particular context.

  This API change is a core fundamental change required by Turbulence
  BEEP application server to allow its function on Microsoft Windows
  platform.

  #### Library separation: modular design ####

  Now Vortex Library 1.1 is composed by a base library and a set of
  extension libraries that provides additional functionality like
  profiles or specific APIs.

  This change allows to reduce installation elements and to allow
  developers and distributors to select only those components used.

  Rather than including all features into a single library (like
  Vortex Library 1.0) this will allow independent development for each
  piece of code and will improve extension developments.

  #### PULL API: single threaded API ####

  Vortex Library 1.1 now includes a single threaded API for those
  scenarios where all events must be handled inside the same main
  thread in a non-blocking manner.

  PULL API is implemented as an extension library that, once connected
  to the base library, marshalls all async events into pullable events
  that are fetched from a single loop.

  #### HTTP CONNECT: HTTP proxy support for BEEP peers ####
  
  A interesting extension library that allows creating BEEP clients
  that can connect to remote BEEP servers by using a local HTTP proxy,
  allowing better integration in those scenarios where a local
  firewall do not allow direct connections.

Long list of changes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Vortex Library 1.1 was developed in parallel with 1.0 series during
  the last year making some improvements to be imported from/to 1.0
  series. The following is the list of all changes that also includes
  some changes already notified in previous 1.0 releases:

    http://www.aspl.es/vortex/changes-from-1.0.txt

Many thanks to
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many thanks to people that have provided suggestions, comments,
patches, etc, helping to create Vortex Library 1.1. Special mention to
Sam Roberts, Benoit Amiaux, Jens Alfke, Mihail Dmitrievsky, Martin
Huter and Balazs Tirpak.

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line provides GNU/Linux support and
  consulting services to help organization to introduce GNU/Linux
  inside its process.

  Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
  and/or BEEP based development services.

  You can reach us:

       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

  We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!  

--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
29th Jan 2009, Madrid (Spain)