Subject: [beepwg] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.1.3 'Hurricane' is ready!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 12:19:48 +0100

###################################################
      ##              Vortex Library 1.1.3             ##
      ##                  "Hurricane"                  ##
      ###################################################

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce Vortex
  Library 1.1.3 "Hurricane" release availability: an open source "BEEP
  Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto TCP/IP.

  Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
  development toolkit, with active support for Microsoft Windows and
  GNU/Linux platforms.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex
      [Vortex Library homepage]

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex/py-vortex/html
      [PyVortex homepage]

    - http://www.aspl.es/turbulence
      [Turbulence BEEP server homepage]
 
    - http://www.sf.net/projects/vortexlibrary
      [Sources and Win32 binaries]

    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core community web site]

    - http://www.aspl.es/xml
      [Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
    
This release in short
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  * Starting this release, now every vortex connection created will
    notify serverName attribute on first channel either using value
    provided by application caller or acquiring it from the host we
    are connecting to. 

  * Improved/rewritten greetings handling reply to allow listener side
    to hook on that event deciding what to reply rather replying
    directly.

  * Many improvements to better integrate vortex when it is used in
    conjunction with fork() call. Added support to receive channel
    start in one process, and handle its reply in another
    process...powerful! Used this new support by Turbulence to handle
    connection reuse by childs created.

  * General update to thread pool API to allow increasing and
    decreasing workers (threads) dynamically.

  * General updates to PyVortex to include new methods to existing
    classes and support for channel pools (vortex.ChannelPool). 

  * Applied many, many improvements, API updates, bug fixes and
    documentation updates.

Change notifications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  - vortex-profile-filter-01
    http://lists.aspl.es/pipermail/vortex/2009-November/000877.html

Thanks to..
~~~~~~~~~~~

  <Dhiraj Prasad> (Reported missing TLS activate notification on
  vortex_tls_start_notification_sync).

  <Ralf Konush> (Helped and reported bugs on reply handling using
  channel pools. Helped on spotting memory consumption problems with
  axlHash structure used by vortex to store internal state. Provided
  many comments and suggestions that were useful to improve thread
  pool API. Reported bug on channel serialization code when handling
  replies using ANS/NUL series, when they are interleaved, or issued
  in an out of order manner, on the same channel).

Changes since 1.1.2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* [fix] Added new regression test to check channel pool ready
  indication for ANS/NUL interactions... No bug was found.

* [fix] Fixed post creation notification for master listener
  connections.

* [new] General update to support connection options through
  VortexConnectionOpts. Used this new support to implement greetings
  serverName feature. API added:
  
   - VortexConnectionOpts (type)
   - VortexConnectionOptItem (enum)
   - vortex_connection_opts_new (function)
   - vortex_connection_opts_free (function)
   - CONN_OPTS (macro) 

* [new] Updated vortex connection API to include a new function to
  create a BEEP connection with extended options. Updated
  vortex_connection_new to be built on top of this new function.  API
  added:
  
   - vortex_connection_new_full

* [new] Added support for a new action stage:
  CONNECTION_STAGE_PROCESS_GREETINGS_FEATURES which allows getting
  notifications after client greetings received.

* [fix] Updated vortex engine to make listener peer to not reply with
  initial greetings until client greetings are received, allowing to
  react according to client greetings received (especially for
  greetings features).

* [new] Updated vortex ctx module to include a function to control if
  automatic serverName feature must be implemented. Now by default
  vortex will notify serverName used on connection options or, if not
  provided, the host name used to connect, on the first channel
  created. API added:

   - vortex_ctx_server_name_acquire

* [new] Updated vortex tunnel API to include a new function that
  allows configuring connections options to be used. API added:

  - vortex_tunnel_settings_set_options

* [new] Updated greetings module to include support to send back a
  error greetings with a code and a message denying the service when
  required.  Updated API to include a function to implement this
  behavior:

   - vortex_greetings_error_send

* [fix] More updates on regression test (test_01g) to check serverName
  on greetings feature implemented. Still more work is required.

* [fix] Finished regression test work (test_01g) to check serverName
  feature on greetings. Nice!

* [fix] Fixed frame deallocation (memory leak) in case listener
  greetings send fails or client greetings is not accepted at listener
  side.

* [fix] Improved wrong BEEP header detection. Added reg test
  (test_01h).

* [fix] More updates for serverName automatic configuration..

* [fix] Added new internal function that allows unwatching a
  connection from the vortex reader loop. API added:

   - vortex_reader_unwatch_connection

* [fix] General internal modifications to split channel start handling
  to allow stopping it and later handle reply at a different process.

* [fix] Cleanup start handling code..

* [new] Updated vortex profiles API to include a new function that
  allows configuring the frame received handler for a registered
  profile. API added:

  - vortex_profiles_set_received_handler

* [fix] Making vortex sequencer reinitilization to check and dealloc
  internal structures that may be defined in a fork operation so this
  memory isn't lost.

* [fix] CHANGE-NOTIFICATION: Updated 
  vortex_connection_is_profile_filtered and VortexProfileMaskFunc to 
  include the profile content encoding, and the frame received (in 
  the case of channel start notification) according to 
  vortex-profile-filter-01.

* [fix] Making vortex thread pool reinitialization to check and
  dealloc internal structures that may be defined in a fork operation
  so this memory isn't lost.

* [fix] Making internal changes to channel start reply handling so it
  can be decoupled and implemented later in another thread or
  process...Nice!

* [new] Updated vortex support API to include a function to check if a
  search path is already added. Updated search path initialization to
  check paths before adding them (to avoid leaking via paths allocated
  but not added). Bug exposed by turbulence reg test.

   - vortex_support_check_search_path

* [fix] More updates to cleanup resources at vortex reader after fork
  operation. Added code to release all connection that were handled by
  the parent process..

* [fix] Fixed wrong memory deallocation for error message returned by
  vortex_connection_is_profile_filtered.

* [fix] Fixed on close notification causing some handlers to be not
  called in the case several are installed and some of them removes
  themselves during the call. Added regression test to reproduce the
  problem and fix the issue (test_02a1).

* [fix] Fixed missing error message reply for channel start filtered.

* [fix] Added missing socket close calls during connect failure.

* [fix] Updated test certificates used by regression test.

* [fix] Fixed documentation and updated section about TLS test
  certificate generation section.

* [fix] Updated sasl extension to provide serverName requested to
  common auth handler in the case SASL channel is the first setting
  serverName. Still required reg test.

* [fix] Added regression test to check serverName notification for
  SASL auth on first channel.

* [fix] Added channel reference handling to avoid races at
  vortex_channel_notify_start_internal.

* [fix] Fixed bug at TLS implementation causing a caller to
  vortex_tls_start_negotiation/vortex_tls_start_negotiation_sync to be
  never notified for the first case and blocked during 60 seconds for
  the second case. Added reg test (test_05b) to reproduce the problem
  and check the fix introduced. Bug reported by Dhiraj Prasad.

* [fix] Added regression test to check vortex_connection_new fast
  error reporting in case of unreachable address.

* [fix] Fixed compilation error at vortex-regression-client caused by
  code only activated on windows.

* [new] Updated PyVortex Channel and Connection classes to include a
  couple of methods that allows python's reference count manipulation.
  Added regression test to check how they work (test_10_b). API added:

   - vortex.Channel.incref
   - vortex.Channel.decref
   - vortex.Connection.incref
   - vortex.Connection.decref
 
  Updated API documentation. 

* [fix] General memory allocation improvements to make connection
  internal structures to be not allocated until they are required.

* [fix] Added memory allocation checks to avoid accessing NULL memory.
  Still more work is required. 

* [fix] Making vortex_connection_set_profile_mask and
  vortex_connection_is_profile_filtered to be thread safe.

* [fix] Fixed bug inside vortex_channel_is_ready which wasn't checking
  for pending outstanding MSG.

* [fix] Making vortex_frame_get_next to close the connection in the
  case there is no memory to allocate the frame received.

* [fix] Fixed lock caused by calling
  vortex_connection_is_profile_filtered recursively.

* [fix] Added check at vortex.Connection python constructor to ensure
  first argument received is indeed a vortex.Ctx.

* [new] Updated vortex.Connection to include an attribute to return
  current serverName configured. Updated documentation. API added:

   - server_name

* [fix] Adding internal function __vortex_channel_set_state to help
  turbulence to restore channel 0 status after transfer socket between
  processes.

* [fix] Refactored socket limit reached code to also place it at the
  client initiator (vortex_connection_sock_connect). Fixes server side
  listener limit reached handling for sockets not created by accept(2)
  call.

* [fix] Making vortex reader process to flag its own reinitialization
  so channels that are released under that process do not lock
  internal mutexes.

* [fix] Added new function that allows to configure that logs sent to
  user debug handler are first prepared so the handler do not requires
  to handle printf format conversion. Added regression test to check
  its function. API added:

   - vortex_log_set_prepare_log

* [fix] Updated vortex_socket_close macro to avoid calling socket
  close if socket descriptor is not valid.

* [fix] Added initial call vortex_async_queue_release to release
  queues in the case of a reinitialization after a fork operation.

* [new] Updated PyVortex. Added ctx attribute to vortex.Connection to
  return connection context. API added:

    - vortex.Connection.ctx (read only attribute)

* [new] Updated PyVortex API to include access to connection unique
  identification. API added:

   - vortex.Connection.id (read only attribute).

* [fix] Updated PyVortex internals to bind objects life time to
  vortex.Ctx created rather to C VortexCtx reference. This solves
  memory deallocation issues especially when python code install
  references to modules that are later unloaded but VortexCtx C
  reference is still working. This shows problems when turbulence
  unloads mod-python but its structures still reference to python
  objects stored..This is now solved binding/storing python objects
  into vortex.Ctx via internal API:

    - py_vortex_ctx_register
    - py_vortex_ctx_register_get

* [fix] Updated internal code to reuse as much as possible already
  created references. Check regression test.

* [fix] Moved data registration code at
  py_vortex_profile_frame_received to avoid races between the data is
  configured and the frame handler is called.

* [fix] Updated PyVortex vortex.Connection API to allow providing the
  serverName to be used on next channel start request. Updated
  documentation.

* [fix] Updated vortex channel pool internals to detect if a channel
  is ready by using vortex_channel_is_ready rather
  vortex_channel_is_up_to_date.

* [new] Updated vortex connection API to include a new function that
  allows to install on close handlers configuring when they are
  executed. Updated previous close handlers to use this implementation
  providing same behavior. Updated vortex channel start code to use
  this new handler to avoid executing user on close code first rather
  system handlers. API added:

   - vortex_connection_set_on_close_full2

* [fix] Added PyVortex reg test (test_12_a) to reproduce and check fix
  introduced to detect on close connection during start channel
  operation. Previous close was deadlocking if the user configured an
  on close handler and then started a channel for which its connection
  is closed in the middle of the operation.

* [fix] Added some debug log to on close notification. Added initial
  test to PyVortex to check async notifications during channel start
  (test_12_b).

* [fix] Added initial code to check thread pool tasks
  handling. Updated thread pool API to return some stats about pending
  jobs, free threads and started threads. Still more work is
  required. API added:

   - vortex_thread_pool_stats

* [fix] Defining fixed values for VortexEncoding type to make it easy
  to other languages binding vortex to assume those values.

* [new] Updated PyVortex to include encoding values for channel start
  profile content notification:
  
   - encoding_NONE
   - encoding_BASE64

* [new] Updated PyVortex conn.open_channel to support serverName, and
  profile_content attributes.

* [fix] Fixed PyVortex conn.open_channel to allow other threads to
  enter into python context during channel creation allowing other
  async notifications to be completed. Added regression test test_12_b
  to check bug and fix introduced.

* [fix] Updated vortex_log_enable, vortex_log2_enable and
  vortex_color_log_enable to not modify environment variable and flag
  setting as checked.

* [new] Updated thread pool module to allow adding new threads at run
  time. Used this new code to initialize vortex. API added:
  
   - vortex_thread_pool_add

  Updated test_00-a reg test to check now a pool with no available
  threads handles pending jobs when new threads are added.

* [fix] Fixed vortex_thread_pool_get_num which was causing to fail on
  windows.

* [fix] Added some being/end threads macros to PyVortex functions.

* [fix] Fixed missing checked flag at vortex_color_log_enable.

* [fix] Added more PyVortex documentation. Renamed
  vortex.encoding_BASE to vortex.encoding_BASE64

* [new] Updated PyVortex connection API to include two new methods to
  store and retrieve user references. API added:

   - Connection.get_data
   - Connection.set_data
  
  Added regression test to check function (test_03_a).

* [fix] Added debug log to vortex_channel_get_reply to notify that a
  NULL reference queue was received.

* [fix] Fixed PyVortex conn.set_on_close notification which was not
  properly notifying the conn reference at listener side when the
  handler was configured as a consequence of another handler
  activation.

* [fix] Updated PyVortex connection reference allocation at listener
  side to reuse references rather creating and finishing them for each
  handler notification. Solves memory/performance issue and also fixes
  missing references problem experienced at listener side.

* [new] Updated PyVortex conn.open_channel to also support async
  channel creation and notification through on_channel
  handler. Updated documentation.  Added regression test to check
  function (test_10_c and test_10_d for failure notification).

* [fix] Adding more PyVortex documentation..

* [fix] Added initial code to implement ans/nul replies to reproduce
  missing nul frames bug...

* [fix] Rewritten channel serialize code to be seqno based rather
  msgno and frame type. This solves some issues with heavily loaded
  frame handlers that causes some NUL frames (stored as -1) to be
  missed. Also fixed connection dealloc failures when channel
  serialize is enabled and ANS/NUL frames are received. Added reg test
  test_03c to reproduce the problem and check fix introduced.

* [fix] Finally finished out of order reply handling for
  different/parallel ANS/NUL replies over the same channel. Updated
  regtest test_03-c to reproduce and check fix introduced. Still more
  work required to better test current function.

* [fix] Fixed bug at new reply sending code for ANS/NUL series which
  wasn't restoring next ansno to be used. Updated test_03c reg test to
  reproduce the bug and check the issue.

* [fix] Updated vortex channel send MSG support to allow limiting how
  many outstanding messages can be hold until the caller is locked
  until some replies come in. This allow to limit memory consumption by
  avoiding storing messages until they can be sent. Updated vortex
  channel API to include a couple of functions that allows to
  configure such limit and to get current outstanding message queue
  length:
  
   - vortex_channel_set_outstanding_limit
   - vortex_channel_get_outstanding_messages

  Added regression test (test_01-k) to check function introduced.

* [new] Updated vortex thread pool API to include a function to remove
  threads from the pool. API added:

   - vortex_thread_pool_remove

  Updated regression test (test_00-a) to check API introduced.

* [fix] Added a couple of regression tests to check memory consumption
  while using channel pool and channel serialize (test_01-l and
  test_01-o).  Reg tests showed bugs on axl hash implementation and
  its capacity to properly retain internal nodes (causing linear
  memory consumption in long running applications).

* [fix] Updated py_vortex_connection_find_reference documentation.

* [new] General update to PyVortex to support channel pools. Still
  more work required.

* [fix] More updates to complete vortex.ChannelPool python API. Still
  more work required.

* [fix] More updates on PyVortex channel pools. Added macro to easily
  check and throw non callable object exception. API added:

  - PY_VORTEX_IS_CALLABLE

* [fix] More updates on vortex.ChannelPool API. Still more work
  required.

* [new] Updated vortex channel pool module to include a new function
  that returns number of channels that are available. API added:

   - vortex_channel_pool_get_available_num

* [new] Updated PyVortex ChannelPool API to include attributes to
  return channel pool count and channel pool available count. Added
  implementation to release channels. Checked next_ready () and
  release() method with reg test test_21 (pyvortex).

   - vortex.ChannelPool.channel_count
   - vortex.ChannelPool.channel_available
   - vortex.ChannelPool.release ()

* [fix] Fixed some documentation warnings.

* [fix] Fixed wrong user pointer notification at channel pool create
  handler when a pointer is defined at
  vortex_channel_pool_get_next_ready_full.  Added reg test test_03d to
  check the problem and the fix introduced.

* [fix] Updated PyVortex channel pool code to support channel pool
  create notification and channel pool create user land handler. Still
  working with frame received channel pool. Added reg test to check
  function (test_22).

* [new] Updated PyVortex Connection API to allow getting the default
  pool and a particular pool. Updated PyVortex ChannelPool API to
  allow returning the connection associated to a pool. Updated
  ChannelPool internals to allow other modules to find and reuse
  channel pool references already created. API added:

   - vortex.Connection.pool() (method)
   - vortex.ChannelPool.conn  (attr)

* [fix] Fixed wrong null handling at vortex_ctx_set_full_data which
  was causing to not properly handle remove cases triggered by
  receiving a NULL value associated to a previously stored key.

* [fix] General updates to PyVortexChannelPool to properly implement
  current API without leaking memory. Completed py vortex reg tests
  test_21 and test_22 without exceptions and memory problems. NICE!!

* [new] Added new regression test to check channel window size
  reduction Test 04-d.

* [fix] Updated SEQ frame log debug to fix test_04-d

* [fix] Fixed wrong channel window SEQ frame notification when it is
  produced a shrink. Now this is detected, reusing currently advised
  max seqno accepted, applying same rules for future SEQ frame
  updates. Added regression test to reproduce the problem and check
  the fix introduced (test 04-d).

* [fix] Updated PyVortex connection.channel_pool_new to change
  parameter naming:

    frame_received -> received
    frame_received_data -> received_data
    on_created_channel_pool -> on_created

  Updated documentation and regression test to check the change
  introduced.

* [fix] Updated documentation to include new methods and attributes.

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line provides GNU/Linux support and
  consulting services to help organization to introduce GNU/Linux
  inside its process.

  Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
  and/or BEEP based development services.

  You can reach us:

       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

  We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!  

--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
5th Mar 2010, Madrid (Spain)