Subject: [Ietf-behave] NAT slides?

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:16:08 -0700 (PDT)

For a class I'm teaching, I'd like to include some basic information 
about various NAT types. Rather than duplicate work, I wonder if 
somebody has suitable PPT slides (obviously to be used with credit...).

Thanks.

Henning

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:31:12 -0700 (PDT)

On 9/13/05 6:16 AM, "Henning Schulzrinne" <hgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-behave mailing list
> Ietf-behave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> https://list.sipfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-behave

I put some slides at

http://www.dial911anddie.com/papers/Telcom04-NAT-v3.pdf
and 
http://www.dial911anddie.com/papers/Telcom04-NAT-v3.ppt

They are old but still seem 95% correct

---

From: Pyda Srisuresh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:56:37 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I donot have any slides on this. However, I looked at Cullen's slides and
the slides from Jon Ringle (earlier posting in response to the same query).
Both sets of slides are nicely done. However, both sets of slides refer to
Symmetric NAT, Port-restricted Cone NAT, Address-Restricted Cone NAT and Full
Cone NATs only. These are variations of NAPT, but leave out other NAT types.

I figured, I should mention that there are other NAT types in addition to those
listed above. Here they are - Basic NAT, Twice NAT, Bi-directional NAT, V4/V6
NAT-PT and Load Share NAT. Hairpin NAT is a new NAT type introduced to cover
the multi-level NAT realities. Cullen's slides cover this new NAT type. Below
is an ASCII art to illustrate the distinction amongst these NAT types. Hope
this helps.

-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
NAT Type     | Address | Port    | Bindings| UDP NAT | TCP NAT | Session
             | Binding | Binding | per NAT | Sessions| Sessions| Direction
             |         |         | Session |         |         | 
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Basic NAT    | Yes,    | No      | 1       | Yes     | Yes     |Outbound
             | Outbound|         |         |         |         |        
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Twice NAT    | Yes,    | Yes,    | 2       | Yes     | Yes     |Outbound
             | Outbound| Outbound|         |         |         |
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Bidirectional| Yes,    | Yes,    | 1       | Yes     | Yes     |Outbound,
NAT          | Bi-direc| Bi-direc|         |         |         |Inbound
             | tional  | tional  |         |         |         |
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Load Share   | Yes,    | Yes,    | 1       | Yes     | Yes     |Inbound
NAT          | Inbound | Inbound |         |         |         |
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Symmetric NAT| No,     | No      | 0       | Yes     | Yes     |Outbound
- A NAPT type|         |         |         |         |         |        
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Port Restrict| No,     | Yes,    | 1       | Yes     | Yes     |Outbound,
ed Cone NAT  |         | Outbound|         |         |         |
- A NAPT Type|         |         |         |         |         |
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Addr Restrict| No      | Yes,    | 1       | Yes     | No      |Outbound,
ed Cone NAT  |         | Outbound|         |         |         |Inbound
- A NAPT Type|         |         |         |         |         |(Addr restr)
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Full Cone    | No      | Yes,    | 1       | Yes     | No      |Outbound,
- A NAPTtype |         | Outbound|         |         |         |Inbound
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
Hairpin NAT  | Yes,    | Yes,    | 2       | Yes     | Yes     |Outbound,
             | Outbound| Outbound|         |         |         |Hairpin
-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------

cheers,
suresh