Subject: [Ietf-behave] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:51:10 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance 
Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : NAT Behavioral Requirements for TCP
        Author(s)       : S. Guha, et al.
        Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt
        Pages           : 19
        Date            : 2006-6-20
        
This document defines a set of requirements for NATs that handle TCP
   that would allow many applications, such as peer-to-peer applications
   and on-line games, to work consistently.  Developing NATs that meet
   this set of requirements will greatly increase the likelihood that
   these applications will function properly.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
i-d-announce-request@xxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the body of the 
message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        mailserv@xxxxxxxxx
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt".
        
NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt>

---

From: Saikat Guha <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 04:07:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

An updated version of the BEHAVE-TCP draft is now available. The major
changes from -00 are listed below. 

The primary open issue is that of handling unsolicited inbound SYN
packets -- i.e. to report an error, or silently drop, or something in
between. (Note: these SYN packets are different from SYN packets that
are part of a TCP Simultaneous-Open attempt, which are in fact
solicited.) The draft addresses the concerns in Section 4.3, REQ-4 and
presents several alternatives.

We expect to resolve this issue at the BEHAVE WG meeting at IETF. If you
have any opinions on the matter please attend the session or email the
list in advance. We will summarize the decision taken in the TCPM
meeting for those that cannot attend BEHAVE. 

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt

Discussion points on- and off- list since -00 have been merged. 
Big changes from -00 are:

1. Document is self standing. Understanding BEHAVE-UDP is no longer
   a prerequisite for this document.

2. Handling of unsolicited inbound SYN (REQ-4) is an open issue. The
   alternative wordings are mentioned in the document.

(This email is being sent to BEHAVE and TCPM)

cheers,
-- 
Saikat
Attachment:
signature.asc