Subject: [Ietf-behave] (no subject)

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:43:42 -0500 (CDT) (envelope-from [email-masked])

Folks:

I just thought I should let everyone know that there was a brief  
presentation

of some of the key points in the behave-tcp draft at the TCPM session in
Montreal on Thursday afternoon. Originally, Saikat was supposed to  
give this

presentation, but he was unable to make it, so I ended up doing it.

The presentation covered the following points from the draft:
1) The handling of unsolicited SYNs;
2) The timeout of a connection after 2 hours and 4 minutes;
3) Leaving the exact behavior of the Time-Wait state unspecified.

On the first point, the presentation mentioned the various alternatives
considered and the decision by BEHAVE to have the NAT send an
ICMP Port Unreachable message after a 6 second delay. There was a good
discussion on the various alternatives, in particular the idea of  
using a soft ICMP error

code rather than "Port Unreachable". (Unlike the BEHAVE meeting,
no one questioned the choice of 6 seconds). In the end the TCPM
group said they were happy with the BEHAVE decision.
The one other comment received was a request to make the behavior
configurable, so that administrators could
configure the NAT box to silently drop the SYN instead.

There were no comments on points (2) and (3).

Those interested can see the slides used in the presentation on the  
IETF website,
and can listen to the audio replay. Minutes of the session are not  
(yet) available.

- Philip