Subject: [Ietf-behave] Issue 4 - ICMP draft issues from the IETF 65 WG meeting

From: Pyda Srisuresh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 07:22:14 -0700 (PDT)

ISSUE-4

  4. ICMP messages shouldn't cause a binding to be refreshed or
  deleted.

  Saikat pointed out that the UDP draft already mentions this, for
  UDP.  This requirement would generalize this behavior for NAT
  binding tables.

  Dan pointed out that some protocols may need different behavior.

  Saikat said the ICMP draft would allow protocol-specific drafts
  to override its behavior

RESOLUTION: REQ-6 of the ICMP draft states the requirement as follows.

   REQ-6: While processing an ICMP error packet, a NAT device MUST NOT 
   refresh or delete the NAT Session that pertains to the embedded
   payload within the ICMP error packet.

In addition, the section on "Introduction and Scope" states the following with
regard to the scope of the ICMP draft requirements.

   In case a requirement in this document conflicts with protocol
   specific behave requirement(s), protocol specific behave documents
   will take precedence. Note, the authors are not aware of any
   conflicts between this and any other IETF document at the time of
   this writing.