Subject: [Ietf-behave] TURN Issue #11: Return of odd/even RTP/RTCP

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:43:41 -0800 (PST)

Several revisions ago, I removed the feature in TURN that allows an 
endpoint to request a specific port parity (odd/even) and to also 
reserve the next higher port. Such a situation allows for interop 
between a TURN/ICE enabled endpoint and an older RTP endpoint (SIP or 
MGCP) that assumes the port adjacency for RTP.

I removed the capability in an attempt to simplify turn, and also based 
on the assumption that over time as endpoints implement rfc3605 and ICE 
the problem will disappear.

However, I've gotten some private requests to put the feature back in 
the spec. The driver is to support seamless interop between large 
installed bases of RTP-based endpoints, which are not going away anytime 
soon.

Comments?

-Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
jdrosen@xxxxxxxxx                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 06:24:43 -0800 (PST)

Seems like a reasonable idea, and allows TURN to provide good interop with
RFC3605-unaware peers and still get RTCP.

I read -01 and you required two TURN requests to do that.  Why not just
return both addresses in a single TURN response?  

If you require two TURN requests you're complicating the TURN server's state
machine (it needs to withold that adjacent address from its pool, unless
that particular client asks for it, and the TURN requests might be received
out of their expected order).  It's also more traffic on the network and you
increase the chance that one of the four messages will be lost or delayed 

-d 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ietf-behave-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
> [mailto:ietf-behave-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of 
> Jonathan Rosenberg
> Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:44 AM
> To: Behave
> Subject: [Ietf-behave] TURN Issue #11: Return of odd/even RTP/RTCP
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-behave mailing list
> Ietf-behave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> https://list.sipfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-behave