Subject: Re: [Ietf-behave] Next rev on TCP Behavior

From: Pyda Srisuresh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:14:10 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,

The revised behave-tcp draft (i.e., sivakumar-behave-nat-tcp-req draft cited
below) is completely reworked in that issues that are not tcp-specific (IP
fragmentation, port reservation, Path MTU handling, ICMP error handling etc)
are moved to the behave-gen draft. The next rev of ford-behave-gen draft will
include these. Below are additional highlights of the behave-tcp draft. 

1. A consolidated requirements summary section lists a total of 6 requirements.
2. A new "Hints to implementors" section is added. Text relating to supporting
embedded ALGs is moved to be under this section.

Do send in your comments and thoughts on the draft, so we can have a
discussion. Thanks. Let me start off by soliciting comments on the following
specific items.

1. Timeout recommendations: 
Recommended value for SYN timeout: 30 secs
Recommended value for TCP session timeout: 30 mins. 
Recommended value for close timeout:  2 x MSL or 4 mins. 

Do we have work group consensus on these values?

2. NAT initiated TCP-keppalives: We made this requirement to be a MAY. We did
this because the session timeout recommendation is reasonably large (i.e., 30
mins above) and we donot need to mandate NAT devices to send in keep-alives.

Any comments?

3. NAT initiated RST: We made this as a SHOULD requirement. We did this because
NAT retains state of an end-to-end TCP session. Upon session timeout, simply
loosing the session state without notifying the end nodes would leave the
endnodes in zombie state. Considering the large session timeout, we left this
as a SHOULD.

Any comments? 

Thanks.

cheers,
suresh

--- Senthil Sivakumar <ssenthil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The next revision of TCP Behavior draft is available at:
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sivakumar-behave-nat-tcp-req-01.txt
> 
> This revision captures the WG discussions on this topic.
> 
> Please review this and let us know your comments.
> 
> Senthil
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-behave mailing list
> Ietf-behave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> https://list.sipfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-behave
>