Subject: [Ietf-behave] STUN attribute values in draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-01

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:05:01 -0700 (PDT)

On page 18 it says
   If a client receives a response with an attribute whose type is
   greater than 0x7fff, the attribute MUST be ignored.

It seems it should say it it receives an unknown attribute it should ignore
it  - it should be welcome to use ones it understands..

More importantly, I think we have defined several things a mandatory to
understand that probably are not.

For example, seems that SERVER should have a code like 0x8022 not 0x0022

I imagine XOR-MAPPED might be optional to understand.

Cullen

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:36:03 -0700 (PDT)

Cullen Jennings wrote:

On page 18 it says
Oops. This is a bug. Fixed.

I imagine XOR-MAPPED might be optional to understand.
Good points. You are right. In fact, XOR-MAPPED-ADDRESs has to be over 
7fff for compatibility with existing stun clients. Same with SERVER. 
I've changed them to 0x8020 and 0x8022 respectively.

XOR-ONLY needs to be under 0x7fff however.

-Jonathan R.

--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
jdrosen@xxxxxxxxx                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 05:49:57 -0700 (PDT)

I was about to make the same comments at Cullen.
And I agree with the proposed fixes as well.
I have some other comments on the 3489bis draft
which I will write up and pass on shortly.
- Philip

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

Cullen Jennings wrote:

On page 18 it says
   If a client receives a response with an attribute whose type is
   greater than 0x7fff, the attribute MUST be ignored.
It seems it should say it it receives an unknown attribute it should 
ignore
it  - it should be welcome to use ones it understands..

-Jonathan R.

--
Philip Matthews
Architect                     Phone: +1 613-832-4343 x224
Nimcat Networks               Email: matthews -at- nimcatnetworks -dot- com
1135 Innovation Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K2K 3G7
Canada