Subject: [Ietf-behave] TCP Testing

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:11:55 -0800 (PST)

ok we have some software for testing, we have a bunch of NATs, we have an
idea of what we want to test, we have some previous drafts to work from. How
can we get to having:

A draft that describes how to test the TCP portion of a NAT

Some software to do it

Some labs set up where we can generate the results

Someone to run the test

A draft with the results

I guess I would like to start with an email thread on who can do what and by
when  - I'll start a separate thread on what to test.

---

From: Saikat Guha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:59:04 -0800 (PST)

I can do the following:

> A draft that describes how to test the TCP portion of a NAT

I am not sure what this entails but I can assist in the writeup.

> Some software to do it

I have the client and server ready. The client can be downloaded from
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~saikat/NATs.html. By default it will use the
server currently running at a public Cornell IP.

For tests confined to a lab without direct external internet access I'll
post the server and instructions at
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~saikat/NAT-test.html by tomorrow.

> Some labs set up where we can generate the results

We are in the process of enlisting the beta-testers community for a P2P
app to run the client. We expect results from them in two or three
weeks. While this provides insight into the behavior of popular NATs, it
likely does not represent the full spectrum of NAT behavior. I have a
lab set up with a small selection of NATs that can contribute towards
the latter.

> A draft with the results

I can start working on a draft once I have some preliminary results.

-- 
Saikat
Attachment:
signature.asc