Subject: [Ietf-behave] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:50:15 -0500 (CDT) (envelope-from [email-masked])

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance 
Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : NAT Behavioral Requirements for ICMP protocol
        Author(s)       : P. Srisuresh, et al.
        Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp-01.txt
        Pages           : 21
        Date            : 2006-10-5
        
This document identifies the behavioral properties required of the 
   Network Address Translator (NAT) devices in conjunction with the
   ICMP protocol. The objective of this memo is to make NAT devices
   more predictable and compatible with diverse application protocols
   that traverse the devices. Companion documents provide behavioral
   recommendations specific to TCP, UDP and other protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
i-d-announce-request@xxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        mailserv@xxxxxxxxx
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp-01.txt".
        
NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp-01.txt>

---

From: Pyda Srisuresh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:35:59 -0500 (CDT) (envelope-from [email-masked])

Gentlefolks,

Below is a summary of updates that went into the new rev of ICMP draft. I
folded in all comments I received on the previous rev into this rev. Some of
the comments were on the list and some I received in private. Please review and
post any comments you might have to the list. Thanks.

1. REQ-1 & REQ-2: Added justification text for these requirements.

2. REQ-3: Redid the text to be transport agnostic. Also added a requirement on
traversing past IP options in the embedded packet.

3. REQ-4 & REQ-5: Drew two additional figures to explain inbound and outbound
ICMP error messages. Reworded the requirements text to be easier read. Removed
text that refered to IP & ICMP checksum updates, as all NATs are assumed to do
this already (per RFC 3022).

4. REQ-7: Added a new requirement to support ICMP hairpinning.

5. Miscellaneous text changes.

regards,
suresh

--- Internet-Drafts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> > _______________________________________________
> Ietf-behave mailing list
> Ietf-behave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> https://list.sipfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-behave
>