Subject: [Ietf-behave] RE: [Sip] outbound-keepalive question

From: Harrison Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:30:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

My question's true intent is: can we send Binding Requests using TCP or
TLS in Outbound. Because rfc3489bis-03 doesn't say " Binding Requests,
sent over TCP or TLS" and it only says " Binding Requests, sent over
UDP".

Regards,
Hong
-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:fluffy@xxxxxxxxx] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:37 PM
To: zhou hong
Cc: sip@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Sip] outbound-keepalive question

On Jun 5, 2006, at 6:51 PM, zhou hong wrote:

> But in draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-03 says " There are two types of
> requests defined in this specification - Binding Requests, sent over
> UDP, and Shared Secret Requests, sent over TLS [6] over TCP ".

I think that outbound would not us the shared secret requests. Other  
STUN usages might.

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:54:34 -0700 (PDT)

> My question's true intent is: can we send Binding Requests 
> using TCP or TLS in Outbound. Because rfc3489bis-03 doesn't say 
> "Binding Requests, sent over TCP or TLS" and it only says " Binding 
> Requests, sent over UDP".

Consensus at the Dallas IETF SIP meeting was to send STUN over TCP
connections, too.  .  -behave-rfc3489bis- hasn't been updated since that
meeting.

Reference http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/minutes/sip.txt which says:

        ...
        Proposal: 
        Do STUN for TCP and UDP 
        Do CRLF for TCP and STUN for UDP 
        TCP KeepAlive if supported, 1 or 2 otherwise 

        Resolutions:  
        OS TCP KeepAlive should be used if the client supports it. 
        Need something more because OS TCP KeepAlive is not supported in
every client OS. 
        Consensus to use STUN for UDP 
        Consensus to use STUN for TCP, with use of OS TCP keep alive above. 
        ...

-d

---

From: Tim Thome <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 23:45:37 -0700 (PDT)

> connections, too.  .  -behave-rfc3489bis- hasn't been updated since that

Concur...

Tim