Subject: RE: [BEHAVE] STUN message type field

From: "Kevin Johns" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:24:17 -0700

Ok, I can see that now looking at RFC 3489, a bit of text explaining
this might be helpful, but not necessary.

I still think the two occurrences of M2 is an error and it should
actually be M1 and M2:

The message type field is decomposed further into the following
   structure:

                          +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                          |M|M|M|M|M|C|M|M|M|C|M|M|M|M|
                          |1|1|9|8|7|1|6|5|4|0|3|2|2|0|
                          |1|0| | | | | | | | | | | | |
                          +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                                                  ^^

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Petit-Huguenin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:10 PM
To: Kevin Johns
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] STUN message type field

Kevin Johns wrote:
> 
> Hi,
>  
> In looking at the STUN header, I am a bit confused by the STUN message

> type field. There are two M2 entries (should one be a M1?) and there 
> is a C0 and C1 intermixed. I was wondering why the field is formatted 
> this way, it seems one would want to group common field together (i.e.

> C0 and
> C1 would be next to each other) rather then spread them about?

This is for compability with RFC 3489.  If I remember well, it was
decided in the BEHAVE session to add some text to explain that.

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:59:43 -0500

Yes, the duplicate M2 is a bug and will be fixed in the revision. The 
reason for the odd formatting is for backwards compatibility with 
RFC3489 values, and we did agree that I'd add some text to that effect.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com