Subject: [BEHAVE] How to handle an unsupported class of a known STUN method?

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:39:55 -0400

In section 7.3, draft-iet-behave-rfc3489bis-18 states that when a  
received STUN message with an unknown method is received, the message  
is silently discarded. However, it does not define how to handle a  
receive message with a known method when the class is unsupported; for  
example, an Allocate indication or a Data request, to give two  
examples from TURN.

I propose that this be clarified to say that the message is silently  
ignored in this case.

An alternative would be to silently ignore an unsupported indication,  
but to return 400 Bad Request for an unsupported request. However,  
this would mean that clients would have to be able to return error  
responses, and Rohan has previously objected to clients having to  
implement any sort of server-side processing.

- Philip

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:46:15 -0700

I'm don't see  what the issue is here. It seems like any specification  
that defined a new method would have to say what happened for all  
classes of that method. Any use of a class that was not specified for  
a method would be invalid to send.

On Aug 13, 2008, at 5:39 , Philip Matthews wrote:

> received STUN message with an unknown method is received, the  
> message is silently discarded. However, it does not define how to  
> handle a receive message with a known method when the class is  
> unsupported; for example, an Allocate indication or a Data request,  
> to give two examples from TURN.
>
> An alternative would be to silently ignore an unsupported  
> indication, but to return 400 Bad Request for an unsupported  
> request. However, this would mean that clients would have to be able  
> to return error responses, and Rohan has previously objected to  
> clients having to implement any sort of server-side processing.
>
> - Philip
>