Subject: [BEHAVE] I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-turn-ipv6-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN) Extension for IPv6
	Author(s)       : G. Camarillo, O. Novo
	Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-turn-ipv6-06.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2009-03-09

This document adds IPv6 support to Traversal Using Relays around NAT
(TURN).  IPv6 support in TURN includes IPv4-to-IPv6, IPv6-to-IPv6,
and IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying.  This document defines the REQUESTED-
ADDRESS-FAMILY attribute for TURN.  The REQUESTED-ADDRESS-FAMILY
attribute allows a client to explicitly request the address type the
TURN server will allocate (e.g., an IPv4-only node may request the
TURN server to allocate an IPv6 address).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-turn-ipv6-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Alfred E. Heggestad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 21:59:43 +0100

Hi

I have a quick question regarding the new version:

6.2.1.  Peer Address Family Mismatch

   This document defines the following new error response code:

   443 (Peer Address Family Mismatch):  A peer address was of a
      different address family than the relayed transport address of the
      allocation.

--> I think 443 should also be listed in Section 10.2.  New STUN Response Code Registry

/alfred

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:12:34 -0700

> (TURN).  IPv6 support in TURN includes IPv4-to-IPv6, IPv6-to-IPv6, and
> IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying.  This document defines the REQUESTED- ADDRESS-
> FAMILY attribute for TURN.  The REQUESTED-ADDRESS-FAMILY attribute
> allows a client to explicitly request the address type the TURN server
> will allocate (e.g., an IPv4-only node may request the TURN server to
> allocate an IPv6 address).

I really wish that the document be much more clear in the introduction with what it means by "relaying". I read the following paragraph:

   A TURN server that supports a set of address families is assumed to
   be able to relay packets between them.  If a server does not support
   the address family requested by a client, the server returns a 440
   (Address Family not Supported) error response.

What does "relay .. between them" mean there?  Do we mean: "a TURN server that supports a set of address families can receive request to allocate ports for either family. It is assumed that the server that allocate a port for a particular family can relay the received packets to the client, even if the connection between server and client is established using a different address family. For example, an IPv6 client may contact the TURN server using IPv6, request allocation of an IPv4 port, and then send and receive packets to and from IPv4 destinations using TURN messages carried over the IPv6 connection"?

-- Christian Huitema