Subject: [BEHAVE] Revision of Virtual IPv6 Connectivity document

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:28:02 -0700

Dear all -

Alain and I have revised our document on Virtual IPv6 Connectivity, our
proposed IPv4-IPv6 translation method for deployment in IPv4 networks:

http://christianvogt.mailup.net/pub/2009/draft-vogt-durand-virtual-ip6-connectivity-02.txt

This revision addresses comments from Dave Thaler, Edward Jankiewicz,
and Brian Carpenter.  Please see appendix B for a change log.

Recall that the main difference between Virtual IPv6 Connectivity and
existing IPv4-IPv6 interworking methods, such as NAT64, is the
deployment model:  Whereas existing methods are for immediate deployment
in IPv6-only networks, Virtual IPv6 Connectivity is for deployment in
IPv4-only networks.  We believe that, as IPv6 deployment becomes more
substantial, the impetus to invest in IPv4-IPv6 interworking will shift
from the side of early IPv6 adopters towards the side of the legacy IPv4
Internet. To have suitable technology available at that time, we propose
the adoption of Virtual IPv6 Connectivity by the Behave working group.

Note that we did not announce version 01 of the document on this mailing
list due to the short time between versions 01 and 02.  Only version 01
was ready before the IETF 75 submission deadline.  But version 01 did
not address all review comments, so we followed up with version 02.

Further reviews and comments are very welcome, as usual.

- Christian, for Alain and Christian