Subject: [BEHAVE] I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-ftp64-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IPv6-to-IPv4 translation FTP considerations
	Author(s)       : I. van Beijnum
	Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-ftp64-02.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2010-05-14

The File Transfer Protocol has a very long history, and despite the
fact that today, other options exist to perform file transfers, FTP
is still in common use.  As such, it is important that in the
situation where some client computers are IPv6-only while many
servers are still IPv4-only and IPv6-to-IPv4 translators are used to
bridge that gap, FTP is made to work through these translators as
best it can.

FTP has an active and a passive mode, both as original commands that
are IPv4-specific, and as extended, IP version agnostic commands.
The only FTP mode that works without changes through an IPv6-to-IPv4
translator is extended passive.  However, many existing FTP servers
do not support this mode, and some clients do not ask for it.  This
document describes server, client and middlebox (if any) behavior
that minimizes this problem.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-ftp64-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.