Subject: [bess] Fwd: AD statement on development of IETF-standard routing-related YANG models

From: Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:10:49 +0100

WG,

please be aware of this AD statement.

-m

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	AD statement on development of IETF-standard routing-related
YANG models
Date : 	Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:57:28 -0400
De : 	Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Pour : 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>

Development of standardized YANG models has seriously increased this
year.  Of course, this is a good problem to have. There are close to 30
different drafts related to YANG models for routing; coordination
between these drafts is necessary.  NETMOD is also hard at work on a
backwards-compatible YANG 1.1.  From the IETF's experience with
developing MIBs, it was critical to have the domain-area experts
involved in writing and reviewing MIBs and we believe that it is
similarly critical to situate the work on YANG models in the working
groups where the appropriate domain-experts can be easily found.
Actively encouraging and cultivating the review of those with the
expertise in modeling with YANG and deep understanding of its features
is also critical to the success of standardized YANG models.  This
expertise is found in the NETMOD working group and among the YANG
doctors (https://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/yang-doctors.html).

We, as the Routing and Ops and Management Area Directors, would like to
see work proceed as follows.

1) The mailing list, [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>, has been created to coordinate among
the different routing YANG models and drafts.  For instance, there may
be common groupings to be defined, interactions between models to be
determined, and so on.  To facilitate this coordination work, we are
developing a job description for a secretary for the mailing list and
hope to appoint someone to that role.

2) Routing-related YANG models must be targeted for adoption at the
appropriate WGs in the Routing Area.  If the appropriate WG is unclear,
please bring the question to the RTGWG and the [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> mailing list.  RTGWG can either direct
where the work goes or, if there is no appropriate other WG, make a
decision about adopting the draft.

3) The NETMOD charter has been open to accept work item that don't fall
under the responsibility of an existing WGs:

     The NETMOD WG may also develop any additional data models written in
     YANG that the WG considers core building blocks and that do not fall
     under the charters of other active IETF working groups. The NETMOD
     WG may simply add such milestones as it sees fit, with the advice
     and consent of the responsible AD.

In case of routing-related YANG models, even if there are no responsible
existing WG, it's expected that the standardization happens in the RTGWG.

4) It is common and expected that sometimes work needs to be discussed
in multiple WGs, even though it is only adopted in one.  Examples would
include NETMOD discussing a model for OSPF to consider how it relates to
draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg, RTGWG discussing
draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg to encourage review and discussion about
its use as a base for routing-related models, etc.

5) We have heard a strong desire from the community to rapidly encourage
development of standardized YANG models.  Towards that end, we expect
and encourage more and frequent virtual interims (some probably joint
between WGs).  To have such a pace work well, we need authors,
reviewers, and contributors to expect to spend time on this work on an
on-going basis.

6) Since many YANG doctors also participate in NETMOD and since NETMOD
is having weekly virtual interims, it may prove convenient to provide
feedback on YANG models in this forum.  When done so, to ensure the
interested parties are aware of the relevant models to be discussed and
can arrange their schedules to call in, the agenda should be forwarded
with at least a week's to the [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> and to the relevant WGs. When the
virtual interim is used to provide YANG doctor feedback, preference
should be given to drafts already adopted by a WG; discussing one model
does not imply partiality or a request to the WG appropriate to consider
adopting the draft.

7) To provide a common location to find proposed YANG models and be able
to verify their accuracy, Tom Nadeau, one of the NETMOD chairs, has set
up a GitHub repository at: https://github.com/YangModels/yang.  All work
contributed to it is subject to the IETF Contributions policy, as
summarized via the very very familiar IETF Note Well.
8) For the second IETF meeting in a row, a "YANG Advice and Editing
Session" (http://www.ietf.org/meeting/91/tutorials/yang-session.html)is
organized on the Sunday before the IETF meeting. This is your chance to
sit down with a YANG doctor and to get feedback on your YANG module.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Alia, Benoit, Adrian, & Joel