Subject: [bess] Auth48 changes to EVPN draft

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 20:02:07 -0000

Hi BESS WG,

During the final stages of processing draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn the authors
requested some changes to section 6.3 "VLAN-Aware Bundle Service Interface"

Because these changes are a little more than editorial in nature, I want to run
them passed the working group.

Please comment on this list before February 8th if you find these changes
unacceptable. In that case, please state your reasoning and preferably supply an
alternative.

OLD
   With this service interface, an EVPN instance consists of several 
   broadcast domains (e.g., several VLANs) with each VLAN having its
   own bridge domain -- i.e., multiple bridge domains (one per VLAN) are
   maintained by a single MAC-VRF corresponding to the EVPN instance.

   In the case where a single VLAN is represented by different VIDs on
   different CEs and thus VID translation is required, a normalized
   Ethernet Tag ID (VID) MUST be carried in the MPLS-encapsulated
   frames, and an Ethernet Tag ID translation function MUST be supported
   in the data path.  This translation MUST be performed  in the data
   path on both the imposition and disposition PEs (translating to a
   normalized Ethernet Tag ID on the imposition PE  and translating to a
   local Ethernet Tag ID on the disposition PE).   The Ethernet Tag ID in all
EVPN
   routes MUST be set to the normalized value  assigned by the
   EVPN provider.
NEW
   With this service interface, an EVPN instance consists of multiple
   broadcast domains (e.g., multiple VLANs) with each VLAN having its
   own bridge table -- i.e., multiple bridge tables (one per VLAN) are
   maintained by a single MAC-VRF corresponding to the EVPN instance.

   Broadcast, unknown unicast, or multicast (BUM) traffic is sent only
   to the CEs in a given broadcast domain; however, the broadcast
   domains within an EVI either MAY each have their own P-Tunnel or MAY
   share P-Tunnels -- e.g., all of the broadcast domains in an EVI MAY
   share a single P-Tunnel.

   In the case where a single VLAN is represented by a single VID and
   thus no VID translation is required, an MPLS-encapsulated packet MUST
   carry that VID.  The Ethernet Tag ID in all EVPN routes MUST be set
   to that VID.  The advertising PE MAY advertise the MPLS Label1 in the
   MAC/IP Advertisement route representing ONLY the EVI or representing
   both the Ethernet Tag ID and the EVI.  This decision is only a local
   matter by the advertising PE (which is also the disposition PE) and
   doesn't affect any other PEs.

   In the case where a single VLAN is represented by different VIDs on
   different CEs and thus VID translation is required, a normalized
   Ethernet Tag ID (VID) MUST be carried in the EVPN BGP routes.
   Furthermore, the advertising PE advertises the MPLS Label1 in the 
   MAC/IP Advertisement route representing both the Ethernet Tag ID 
   and the EVI, so that upon receiving an MPLS-encapsulated packet, it can
   identify the corresponding bridge table from the MPLS EVPN label and 
   perform Ethernet Tag ID translation ONLY at the disposition PE --
   i.e., the Ethernet frames transported over the MPLS/IP network MUST
   remain tagged with the originating VID, and VID translation is
   performed on the disposition  PE.  The Ethernet Tag ID in all EVPN
   routes MUST be set to the normalized  Ethernet Tag ID assigned by the
   EVPN provider.
END

Thanks,
Adrian

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 10:04:59 -0000

WG, thanks for the thread on this topic.

Most of the discussion has focused on "other ways to solve the problem" and I'm
pleased to hear that that discussion has decided to get out of the way of this
document and to focus on revisions or new drafts.

Wrt this specific document, the only discussion of this text change that I heard
was resolved in favor of the current text.

I'll tell the RFC Editor to go ahead.

Thanks,
Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: BESS [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Adrian Farrel
> Sent: 01 February 2015 20:02
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [bess] Auth48 changes to EVPN draft
> 
> Hi BESS WG,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> BESS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bess