Subject: [bess] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-orf-covering-prefixes-04: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:03:32 -0800

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-orf-covering-prefixes-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-orf-covering-prefixes/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I found myself wishing that the Abstract and/or Introduction included a
sentence describing what a "covering prefix" was. "ORF" is nicely
explained in the Introduction, but all I get on "covering prefix" is that
they're applicable in Virtual Hub-and-Spoke VPNs and BGP/MPLS Ethernet
VPN networks.

I actually know most of the terms defined in the Terminology section, but
"covering prefix" isn't explained there, either. 

The first clue I could find (searching for "cover") is on page 8, in this
sentence.

   However, because Loc-RIB also
   contains a more specific covering route (3:192.0.2.0/89),
   2:192.0.2.0/88 does not match.  

I can guess what a covering prefix is using context clues, but I'm
guessing.