Subject: [bess] Protocol Action: 'Covering Prefixes Outbound Route Filter for BGP-4' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bess-orf-covering-prefixes-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 12:15:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Covering Prefixes Outbound Route Filter for BGP-4'
  (draft-ietf-bess-orf-covering-prefixes-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alia Atlas and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-orf-covering-prefixes/

Technical Summary

  A BGP speaker can send Outbound Route Filters (ORF) to a peer.  The
  peer uses ORFs to filter routing updates that it sends to the BGP
  speaker.  Using ORF, a BGP speaker can realize a "route pull"
  paradigm, in which the BGP speaker, on demand, pulls certain routes
  from the peer.

  This document defines a new Outbound Route Filter (ORF) type, called
  the "Covering Prefixes ORF (CP-ORF)".  CP-ORF is applicable in
  Virtual Hub-and-Spoke VPNs.  It also is applicable in BGP/MPLS
  Ethernet VPN (EVPN) networks.

Working Group Summary

  There has been no controversy relating to the technical aspect of
  this Document. A late IPR disclosure was made against this document
  (see question 8). The WG did not oppose to the progress of the
  document.

Document Quality

  The WG Chairs are aware of one implementation plan of the
  technologies described in this document. It should be noted that the
  contexts (Virtual Hub-and-Spoke VPNs and EVPNs) in which this
  Document applies are fairly recent thus explaining that
  implementations are not yet available
  
Personnel

  Martin Vigoureux is the Document Shepherd
  Adrian Farrel is the responsible AD