Subject: [bess] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-bidir-03.txt> (MVPN: Using Bidirectional P-Tunnels) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 06:07:12 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the BGP Enabled Services WG (bess)
to consider the following document:
- 'MVPN: Using Bidirectional P-Tunnels'
  <draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-bidir-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-03-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A set of prior RFCs specify procedures for supporting multicast in
   BGP/MPLS IP VPNs.  These procedures allow customer multicast data to
   travel across a service provider's backbone network through a set of
   multicast tunnels.  The tunnels are advertised in certain BGP
   multicast "auto-discovery" routes, by means of a BGP attribute known
   as the "Provider Multicast Service Interface (PMSI) Tunnel
   attribute".  Encodings have been defined that allow the PMSI Tunnel
   attribute to identify bidirectional (multipoint-to-multipoint)
   multicast distribution trees.  However, the prior RFCs do not provide
   all the necessary procedures for using bidirectional tunnels to
   support multicast VPNs.  This document updates RFCs 6513, 6514 and
   6625 by specifying those procedures.  In particular, it specifies the
   procedures for assigning customer multicast flows (unidirectional or
   bidirectional) to specific bidirectional tunnels in the provider
   backbone, for advertising such assignments, and for determining which
   flows have been assigned to which tunnels.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-bidir/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-bidir/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2405/