Subject: [bess] RFC 7611 on BGP ACCEPT_OWN Community Attribute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:35:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7611

        Title:      BGP ACCEPT_OWN Community Attribute 
        Author:     J. Uttaro, P. Mohapatra,
                    D. Smith, R. Raszuk,
                    J. Scudder
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 16976
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-acceptown-community-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7611

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7611

Under certain conditions, it is desirable for a Border Gateway
Protocol (BGP) route reflector to be able to modify the Route Target
(RT) list of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) route that the route
reflector distributes, enabling the route reflector to control how a
route originated within one VPN Routing and Forwarding table (VRF) is
imported into other VRFs.  This technique works effectively as long
as the VRF that exports the route is not on the same Provider Edge
(PE) router as the VRF(s) that imports the route.  However, due to
the constraints of BGP, it does not work if the two are on the same
PE.  This document describes a modification to BGP allowing this
technique to work when the VRFs are on the same PE and to be used in
a standard manner throughout an autonomous system.

This document is a product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC