Subject: [bess] Brian Haberman's Abstain on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet-04: (with COMMENT)

From: "Brian Haberman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 06:41:43 -0800

Brian Haberman has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet-04: Abstain

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to assume that there are vendors shipping this functionality...
and, presumably, customers using it in some limited fashion. However, I
find that this work has managed to make inter-domain IP multicast look
simple and easy. I don't see any justification for why this approach is
preferable to using native IP multicast approaches for what appears to be
pre-provisioned distribution of multicast content between a small set of
independent networks.

That being said, I am not going to stand in the way of the publication of
this document. That horse is out of the barn.