Subject: Re: [bess] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-pta-flags-02: (with COMMENT)

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 10:05:33 +0200

Hi, 

I guess it’s not possible to registered that bit already in this doc?

Mirja

> Am 26.04.2016 um 21:29 schrieb Eric C Rosen <[email-masked]>:
> 
> On 4/26/2016 12:22 PM, Mirja Kuehlewind wrote:
>> Not important but why is the Extension flag bit 1 and not bit 0?
> 
> There is reason to believe that bit 0 is already in use in one or more deployments.  Hopefully, it will get properly registered once the registry is created!
> 
> 
>

---

From: Eric C Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 10:28:10 -0400

> I guess it’s not possible to registered that bit already in this doc?

The registration policy is "Standards Action".  Before registering that 
bit, someone would have to write the draft specifying its use, the WG 
would have to adopt it, etc.  I hope this will be done, but it is 
outside the scope of draft-ietf-bess-pta-flags.

I think there are four other bits that are also known to be in use, 
these are described in draft-ietf-bess-evpn-optimized-ir. Presumably the 
authors of that draft will ask the WG chairs to request "early 
allocation" as soon as the registry is established.