Subject: [bess] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bess-ir-03.txt> (Ingress Replication Tunnels in Multicast VPN) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:57:07 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG (bess)
to consider the following document:
- 'Ingress Replication Tunnels in Multicast VPN'
  <draft-ietf-bess-ir-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-08-10. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFCs 6513, 6514, and other RFCs describe procedures by which a
   Service Provider may offer Multicast VPN service to its customers.
   These procedures create point-to-multipoint (P2MP) or multipoint-to-
   multipoint trees across the Service Provider's backbone.  One type of
   P2MP tree that may be used is known as an "Ingress Replication (IR)
   tunnel".  In an IR tunnel, a parent node need not be "directly
   connected" to its child nodes.  When a parent node has to send a
   multicast data packet to its child nodes, it does not use layer 2
   multicast, IP multicast, or MPLS multicast to do so.  Rather, it
   makes n individual copies, and then unicasts each copy, through an IP
   or MPLS unicast tunnel, to exactly one child node.  While the prior
   MVPN specifications allow the use of IR tunnels, those specifications
   are not always very clear or explicit about how the MVPN protocol
   elements and procedures are applied to IR tunnels.  This document
   updates RFCs 6513 and 6514 by adding additional details that are
   specific to the use of IR tunnels.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-ir/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-ir/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.