Subject: [bess] Virtual Hub-and-Spoke in BGP/MPLS VPNs

From: Eduard Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 18:05:36 +0200

Hello all,

RFC7024 describes "Virtual Hub-and-Spoke in BGP/MPLS VPNs"
The RFC describes a model where the virtual spokes rely on a default route,
and the virtual hubs use more specific routing information to forward
traffic correctly.

Would it be possible to implement a virtual hub-and-spoke VPN where the
virtual spokes use more specific routing information to forward traffic, in
particular to forward traffic via the optimal correct hub?

The case would be for instance:
- A set of access v-spoke PEs
- Multiple sets of service v-hub PEs
- Multiple sets of service v-spoke PEs

The access v-spoke PEs have a relation with all service v-hub PEs
The service v-spoke PEs are divided over the different sets of service
v-hub PEs

In other words, specific services / IP destinations are reachable via
specific h-hub PEs.

The idea is the have more specific routing in (at least) the acces v-spoke
PEs to allow them to select the correct servcie v-hub PE.

Thanks!

/Eduard