Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 11:10:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Framework for EVPN Designated Forwarder Election Extensibility
        Authors         : Jorge Rabadan
                          Satya Mohanty
                          Ali Sajassi
                          John Drake
                          Kiran Nagaraj
                          Senthil Sathappan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-01.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2018-04-12

Abstract:
   The Designated Forwarder (DF) in EVPN networks is the PE responsible
   for sending broadcast, unknown unicast and multicast (BUM) traffic to
   a multi-homed CE, on a given VLAN on a particular Ethernet Segment
   (ES). The DF is selected out of a list of candidate PEs that
   advertise the same Ethernet Segment Identifier (ESI) to the EVPN
   network. By default, EVPN uses a DF Election algorithm referred to as
   "Service Carving" and it is based on a modulus function (V mod N)
   that takes the number of PEs in the ES (N) and the VLAN value (V) as
   input. This default DF Election algorithm has some inefficiencies
   that this document addresses by defining a new DF Election algorithm
   and a capability to influence the DF Election result for a VLAN,
   depending on the state of the associated Attachment Circuit (AC). In
   addition, this document creates a registry with IANA, for future DF
   Election Algorithms and Capabilities. It also presents a formal
   definition and clarification of the DF Election Finite State Machine.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/