Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 17:25:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Propagation of ARP/ND Flags in EVPN
        Authors         : Jorge Rabadan
                          Senthil Sathappan
                          Kiran Nagaraj
                          Wen Lin
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2019-04-25

Abstract:
   An EVPN MAC/IP Advertisement route can optionally carry an IPv4 or
   IPv6 addresses associated with a MAC address. Remote PEs can use this
   information to reply locally (act as proxy) to IPv4 ARP requests and
   IPv6 Neighbor Solicitation messages and reduce/suppress the flooding
   produced by the Address Resolution procedure. The information
   conveyed in the MAC/IP route may not be enough for the remote PE to
   reply to local ARP or ND requests. For example, if a PE learns an
   IPv6->MAC ND entry via EVPN, the PE would not know if that particular
   IPv6->MAC pair belongs to a host, a router or a host with an anycast
   address, as this information is not carried in the MAC/IP route
   advertisements. Similarly, other information relevant to the IP->MAC
   ARP/ND entries may be needed. This document proposes an OPTIONAL
   extended community that is advertised along with an EVPN MAC/IP
   Advertisement route and carries information relevant to the ARP/ND
   resolution, so that an EVPN PE implementing a proxy-ARP/ND function
   can reply to ARP Requests or Neighbor Solicitations with the correct
   information.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 00:40:22 +0000

All,

We did a minor update to this draft - we added a new flag (I) that is indicating that the IP->MAC binding in a MAC/IP route is immutable, i.e., the advertised IP can only be bound to the advertised MAC when programming it in the ARP/ND cache. 

Please let us know if you have any comments. Otherwise we believe the document is ready for WG LC.

Thank you.
Jorge

-----Original Message-----
From: BESS <[email-masked]> on behalf of "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 5:26 PM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03.txt

    
    Abstract:

    

    
    
    _______________________________________________
    BESS mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bess

---

From: "Ali Sajassi (sajassi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 01:11:30 +0000

Hi Jorge,

The new I-flag is to enforce one-to-one mapping between an IP address and a MAC address, right? So, if this falg is set, then it is not applicable to Extended Mobility procedures (i.e., draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-extended-mobility-00). Can you reference this draft as informative reference and indicate this (for both different IPs to the same MAC as well as a single IP to different MACs).

Cheers,
Ali

On 4/25/19, 5:41 PM, "BESS on behalf of Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    All,

    
    Thank you.
    Jorge

    -----Original Message-----
    From: BESS <[email-masked]> on behalf of "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
    Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
    Date: Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
    Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
    Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03.txt

        
        Abstract:

---

From: "Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 05:51:49 +0000

Hi Ali,

The I-flag is to enforce that an IP is always bound to a MAC address. However there is no enforcement that the MAC is bound to only that IP. 
But you are right that some of the procedures in draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-extended-mobility are not applicable.
It's a good point. We'll add the reference.

Thank you!
Jorge

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ali Sajassi (sajassi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, April 26, 2019 at 3:11 AM
To: "Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03.txt

    Hi Jorge,

    Cheers,
    Ali

    
        All,

        
        Thank you.
        Jorge

        -----Original Message-----
        From: BESS <[email-masked]> on behalf of "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
        Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
        Date: Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 5:26 PM
        To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
        Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
        Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03.txt

            
            Abstract: