Subject: [bess] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bess-rfc5549revision-04.txt> (Advertising IPv4 Network Layer Reachability Information with an IPv6 Next Hop) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 11:35:43 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG (bess) to
consider the following document: - 'Advertising IPv4 Network Layer
Reachability Information with an IPv6
   Next Hop'
  <draft-ietf-bess-rfc5549revision-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-07-21. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Multiprotocol BGP (MP-BGP) specifies that the set of usable next-hop
   address families is determined by the Address Family Identifier (AFI)
   and the Subsequent Address Family Identifier (SAFI).  The current
   AFI/SAFI definitions for the IPv4 address family only have provisions
   for advertising a Next Hop address that belongs to the IPv4 protocol
   when advertising IPv4 Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI)
   or VPN-IPv4 NLRI.  This document specifies the extensions necessary
   to allow advertising IPv4 NLRI or VPN-IPv4 NLRI with a Next Hop
   address that belongs to the IPv6 protocol.  This comprises an
   extension of the AFI/SAFI definitions to allow the address of the
   Next Hop for IPv4 NLRI or VPN-IPv4 NLRI to also belong to the IPv6
   protocol, the encoding of the Next Hop to determine which of the
   protocols the address actually belongs to, and a new BGP Capability
   allowing MP-BGP Peers to dynamically discover whether they can
   exchange IPv4 NLRI and VPN-IPv4 NLRI with an IPv6 Next Hop. This
   document obsoletes RFC5549.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-rfc5549revision/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.