Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 06:12:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Propagation of ARP/ND Flags in EVPN
        Authors         : Jorge Rabadan
                          Senthil Sathappan
                          Kiran Nagaraj
                          Wen Lin
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-05.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2020-07-27

Abstract:
   An EVPN MAC/IP Advertisement route can optionally carry an IPv4 or
   IPv6 addresses associated with a MAC address.  Remote PEs can use
   this information to populate their ARP/ND tables on IRB interfaces or
   their proxy-ARP/ND tables in Broadcast Domains (BD).  PEs can then
   reply locally (act as an ARP/ND proxy) to IPv4 ARP requests and IPv6
   Neighbor Solicitation messages and reduce/suppress the flooding
   produced by the Address Resolution procedure.  However, the
   information conveyed in the MAC/IP route may not be enough for the
   remote PE to reply to local ARP or ND requests.  For example, if a PE
   learns an IPv6->MAC ND entry via EVPN, the PE would not know if that
   particular IPv6->MAC pair belongs to a host, a router or a host with
   an anycast address, as this information is not carried in the EVPN
   MAC/IP Advertisement routes.  Similarly, other information relevant
   to the IP->MAC ARP/ND entries may be needed.  This document defines
   an Extended Community that is advertised along with an EVPN MAC/IP
   Advertisement route and carries information relevant to the ARP/ND
   resolution, so that an EVPN PE implementing a proxy-ARP/ND function
   can reply to ARP Requests or Neighbor Solicitations with the correct
   information.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/