Subject: [bess] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 06:38:02 -0700

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the other ADs that this document seemed terse in places and won't
repeat those same comments here.

One question I have is whether it is possible to have a deployment where some
devices support synchronous mode and others support asynchronous mode.  Am I
right in presuming that this is not supported and if so is this capability
signaled in any way? Or is the expectation that this would be controlled via
deployment choice of network device, or though configuration management?

Regards,
Rob

---

From: "Ali Sajassi (sajassi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 01:45:31 +0000

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your review and comments. Please see my reply inline marked with "AS>". 

On 7/16/20, 6:38 AM, "Robert Wilton via Datatracker" <[email-masked]> wrote:

AS> The current deployments AFAIK are either symmetric or asymmetric. However, this  doesn't mean that we won't run into interop between symmetric and asymmetric IRB in the future. That's why we put out a draft to describe the interop between symmetric and asymmetric IRB modes about a year ago - https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-krattiger-evpn-modes-interop-01.

Cheers,
Ali

    Regards,
    Rob