Subject: [bess] Fwd: [E] New Version Notification for draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-ipv6nh-use-cases-02.txt

From: Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 02:19:28 -0400

All

I have updated the draft  "IPv4 NLRI with IPv6 Next Hop Use Cases"  adding
Mankamana Mishra as co-author of the draft.  Mankamana representing Cisco
after reviewing the draft internally agrees that this solution has major
consequences and will be very valuable to all operators worldwide both
service providers & enterprises.

I will be presenting this draft on Tuesdays BESS WG IETF 108.

Kind Regards

Gyan

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mishra, Gyan S <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 2:13 AM
Subject: Fwd: [E] New Version Notification for
draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-ipv6nh-use-cases-02.txt
To: Hayabusanew <[email-masked]>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 2:12 AM
Subject: [E] New Version Notification for
draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-ipv6nh-use-cases-02.txt
To: Mankamana Mishra <[email-masked]>, Gyan S. Mishra <
[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-ipv6nh-use-cases-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Gyan MIshra and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-ipv6nh-use-cases
Revision:       02
Title:          IPv4 NLRI with IPv6 Next Hop Use Cases
Document date:  2020-07-25
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          16
URL:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_internet-2Ddrafts_draft-2Dmishra-2Dbess-2Dipv4nlri-2Dipv6nh-2Duse-2Dcases-2D02.txt&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=fVUlStjtfsOBVqPy2hxxa_ViZ0q_9XphquMY8W-rV4E&s=YOmcQDzats-9Ibhwc9-oz2ItqG8MfvC1pHV8B1H1-tI&e=
Status:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_draft-2Dmishra-2Dbess-2Dipv4nlri-2Dipv6nh-2Duse-2Dcases_&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=fVUlStjtfsOBVqPy2hxxa_ViZ0q_9XphquMY8W-rV4E&s=sfNjT4gomuIKTCGmIyEknWUVjwrXo2VAqJllyMmiHSM&e=
Htmlized:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tools.ietf.org_html_draft-2Dmishra-2Dbess-2Dipv4nlri-2Dipv6nh-2Duse-2Dcases-2D02&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=fVUlStjtfsOBVqPy2hxxa_ViZ0q_9XphquMY8W-rV4E&s=Tok6pKaEEP3KI1hUL2cG1JDWYUgQvp0Bt7-PA_YhIXY&e=
Htmlized:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_html_draft-2Dmishra-2Dbess-2Dipv4nlri-2Dipv6nh-2Duse-2Dcases&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=fVUlStjtfsOBVqPy2hxxa_ViZ0q_9XphquMY8W-rV4E&s=ybc_Kb7qkLigtree4Z9J9hxO95yGR8QA7pIxPQJYvG0&e=
Diff:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_rfcdiff-3Furl2-3Ddraft-2Dmishra-2Dbess-2Dipv4nlri-2Dipv6nh-2Duse-2Dcases-2D02&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=fVUlStjtfsOBVqPy2hxxa_ViZ0q_9XphquMY8W-rV4E&s=XDSdCVQsPjDmVxQ4e1Y9m59-poPXL_CuJk3OIRaa2n8&e=

Abstract:
   As Enterprises and Service Providers upgrade their brown field or
   green field MPLS/SR core to an IPv6 transport such as MPLS LDPv6, SR-
   MPLSv6 or SRv6, Multiprotocol BGP (MP-BGP)now plays an important role
   in the transition of the core from IPv4 to IPv6 being able to
   continue to support legacy IPv4, VPN-IPv4, and Multicast VPN IPv4
   customers.

   Multiprotocol BGP (MP-BGP) specifies that the set of usable next-hop
   address families is determined by the Address Family Identifier (AFI)
   and the Subsequent Address Family Identifier (SAFI).  Historically
   the AFI/SAFI definitions for the IPv4 address family only have
   provisions for advertising a Next Hop address that belongs to the
   IPv4 protocol when advertising IPv4 or VPN-IPv4 Network Layer
   Reachability Information (NLRI).  [RFC5549] specifies the extensions
   necessary to allow advertising IPv4 NLRI or VPN-IPv4 NLRI with a Next
   Hop address that belongs to the IPv6 protocol.  This comprises an
   extension of the AFI/SAFI definitions to allow the address of the
   Next Hop for IPv4 NLRI or VPN-IPv4 NLRI to also belong to the IPv6
   Protocol.  [RFC5549] defines the encoding of the Next Hop to
   determine which of the protocols the address actually belongs to, and
   a new BGP Capability allowing MP-BGP Peers to dynamically discover
   whether they can exchange IPv4 NLRI and VPN-IPv4 NLRI with an IPv6
   Next Hop.

   With this new MP-BGP capability exchange allows the BGP peering
   session to act as a pure transport to allow the session to carry
   Address Family Identifier (AFI) and the Subsequent Address Family
   Identifier (SAFI) for both IPv4 and IPv6.

   This document describes the critical use case and OPEX savings of
   being able to leverage the MP-BGP capability exchange usage as a pure
   transport allowing both IPv4 and IPv6 to be carried over the same BGP
   TCP session.  By doing so, allows for the elimination of Dual
   Stacking on the PE-CE connections making the peering IPv6-ONLY to now
   carry both IPv4 and IPv6 Network Layer Reachability Information
   (NLRI).  This document also provides a possible solution for IXPs
   (Internet Exchange points) that are facing IPv4 address depletion at
   these peering points to use BGP-MP capability exchange defined in
   [RFC5549] to carry IPv4 (Network Layer Reachability Information) NLRI
   in an IPv6 next hop using the [RFC5565] softwire mesh framework.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*

*Network Solutions A**rchitect & SME*

*Data Center Planning | Common Core | Development & Engineering Lab
ServicesGlobal Technology Services | ITNUC*

*O 240 970-6287M 301 502-134713101 Columbia Pike Rm 304-D*Silver Spring, MD
20904

*IETF  & ISOC Member since 2015*

https://www.ietf.org/

https://www.internetsociety.org/

-- 

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*

*Network Solutions A**rchitect *

*M 301 502-134713101 Columbia Pike *Silver Spring, MD