Subject: [bgmp] BGMP WG Last Call: draft-ietf-bgmp-spec-03.txt to Experimental

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:32:22 -0700

Dear BGMP WG,

  This is the long-delayed BGMP Working Group Last Call for the BGMP
Specification to be published as Experimental.  Please review the draft
and send any comments to the working group, by September 25, 2002.

Thanks,
  Bill

	Title		: Border Gateway Multicast Protocol (BGMP): Protocol 
                          Specification
	Author(s)	: D. Thaler
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bgmp-spec-03.txt
	Pages		: 44
	Date		: 22-Jul-02
	
This document describes BGMP, a protocol for inter-domain multicast
routing.  BGMP builds shared trees for active multicast groups, and
optionally allows receiver domains to build source-specific, inter-
domain, distribution branches where needed.  BGMP natively supports
'source-specific multicast' (SSM).  To also support 'any-source
multicast' (ASM), BGMP requires that each multicast group be associated
with a single root (in BGMP it is referred to as the root domain).  It
requires that different ranges of the class D space are associated
(e.g., with Unicast-Prefix-Based Multicast addressing) with different
domains.  Each of these domains then becomes the root of the shared
domain-trees for all groups in its range.  Multicast participants will
generally receive better multicast service if the session initiator's
address allocator selects addresses from its own domain's part of the
space, thereby causing the root domain to be local to at least one of
the session participants.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bgmp-spec-03.txt
_______________________________________________
bgmp mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/bgmp