Subject: [Bier] WG Meeting Notes

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:57:20 -0700

Please read and respond  with approval or corrections. Thanks!
Greg

-----

Welcome, Notewell, Agenda bash chairs 5 min

draft-pfister-bier-mld-00 Pierre Pfister 10 min
  Pierre presenting

  Draft is so far only? Draft for dynamically tying BIER to IP multicast
  flows (flow overlay layer).

  Targeted for small/averaged sised networks.
  Shep Q: Do you have a specific use case in mind ?
  A: Could be applied to homenet.
  A: Simple not only wrt. scale but also overall solution complexity.

  BMLD queriers, BMLD Queriers
  Slide 6: changes required to MLD.
  Open issues (slide 8): prevent duplicate forwading.
  Prevent duplicated packet from leaving the network.
  Q Shep: Ingres/egres forwarder duplication mechanisms
  are different from each other.

  Maglianna?/Cisco: Title should imply it applies to IPv4/IPv6.

  Andrew Doglanv: Looks like extending BIER domain to access side.
  might be better to enhance BIER itself.

draft-ietf-bier-architecture-01
draft-ietf-bier-mpls-encapsulation-01 Ijsbrand Wijnands 15 min

Ice presenting
  Implementations should support in parallel 2 bitstring lengths
  to allow migration from one to the other.

draft-ietf-bier-mvpn-01 Mahesh Sivakumar 10 min
Mahesh presenting

draft-xu-idr-bier-extensions-02 Xiaohu Xu 10 min

Peter from Cisco: BGP draft moved TLV into sub-TLV which is inconsistent
in the encoding scheme to the IGP BIER extensions. Please make it
consistent in encoding.

Ice: Does exactly announce the properties of BIER like the IGP extensions,
networks only running BGP will need this. Looks good. Would like to
see this adopted.

Call for adoption being put onto the list.

draft-eckert-bier-te-arch-01 Toerless Eckert 10 min

Ice: SI should be changed to sub-domains
Greg Mersky: Do you plan TE encap to also be MPLS?
Toerless: Any encap will work.
Ice: How to route TE from SPF traffic - we announce a different label in
the IGP for TE

Call for adoption being put onto the list.

draft-mirsky-bier-oam-requirements-00 Gregory Mirsky 10 min

No questions.

Call for adoption will be put to the list.

draft-kumarzheng-bier-ping-01 Gregory Mirsky 10 min

No questions

draft-zzhang-mpls-icmp-bier-01 Jeffrey Zhang 10 min

claification question: sam aldrin: TTL exiry - Tunnel Transport Label.
Proposed procedure is that instead of dropping packet it would generate
signaling. This is generalizing whats done for IPv4/IPv6 packets.

XX, Ericsson: BIER packet does not have any IP information.
where is ICMP packet sent to: to local host, from there on it is
label switched to BFIR.

Ice: BFIR is in BIER packet, so should be possible to "send back"
packet equally to how it's done in MPLS networks for ICMP of IPv4/IPv6
packets.

Greg: not working group item yet. will consider WG adoption call.

draft-chh-bier-bier-yang-00 Ran Chen 10 min

---

From: Gregory Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:22:14 +0000

Hi Greg,
with two nits:

·         s/Greg Mersky/Greg Mirsky/

·         s/XX, Ericsson/Greg Mirsky, Ericsson/
I agree with the Minutes.

                Regards,
                                Greg

From: BIER [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Greg Shepherd
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 10:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Bier] WG Meeting Notes

-----

Ice presenting

Ice: SI should be changed to sub-domains
Greg Mersky: Do you plan TE encap to also be MPLS?
Toerless: Any encap will work.
Ice: How to route TE from SPF traffic - we announce a different label in the IGP for TE

No questions.

No questions

---

From: "Roberta Maglione (robmgl)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:45:55 +0000

Hi Greg,
>  Maglianna?/Cisco: Title should imply it applies to IPv4/IPv6.
Could you please replace Maglianna with Roberta Maglione?
Thanks
Roberta

From: BIER [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Greg Shepherd
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 7:57 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Bier] WG Meeting Notes

-----

Ice presenting

No questions.

No questions

---

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 12:05:24 -0700

Thanks for the feedback. I've incorporated the changes and published the
minutes.

https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/bier.html

Cheers,
Greg

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Roberta Maglione (robmgl) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> *From:* BIER [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of *Greg Shepherd
> *Sent:* Monday, July 27, 2015 7:57 PM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [Bier] WG Meeting Notes
>
>
>