Subject: [Bier] RFC 8444 on OSPFv2 Extensions for Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:43:23 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8444

        Title:      OSPFv2 Extensions for Bit Index 
                    Explicit Replication (BIER) 
        Author:     P. Psenak, Ed.,
                    N. Kumar,
                    IJ. Wijnands,
                    A. Dolganow, 
                    T. Przygienda,
                    J. Zhang,
                    S. Aldrin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 23780
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions-18.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8444

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8444

Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is an architecture that
provides optimal multicast forwarding through a "BIER domain" without
requiring intermediate routers to maintain multicast-related, per-
flow state.  BIER also does not require an explicit tree-building
protocol for its operation.  A multicast data packet enters a BIER
domain at a Bit-Forwarding Ingress Router (BFIR) and leaves the BIER
domain at one or more Bit-Forwarding Egress Routers (BFERs).  The
BFIR adds a BIER packet header to the packet.  The BIER packet header
contains a BitString in which each bit represents exactly one BFER to
forward the packet to.  The set of BFERs to which the multicast
packet needs to be forwarded is expressed by the set of bits in the
BIER packet header.

This document describes the OSPF protocol extension (from RFC 2328)
that is required for BIER with MPLS encapsulation (which is defined
in RFC 8296).  Support for other encapsulation types and the use of
multiple encapsulation types are outside the scope of this document.

This document is a product of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC