Subject: [Bier] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 07:31:57 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Applicability of BIER Multicast Overlay for Adaptive Streaming Services
        Authors         : Dirk Trossen
                          Akbar Rahman
                          Chonggang Wang
                          Toerless Eckert
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response-05.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2021-01-10

Abstract:
   HTTP Level Multicast, using BIER, is described as a use case in the
   BIER Use Cases document.  HTTP Level Multicast is used in today's
   video streaming and delivery services such as HLS, AR/VR, etc.,
   generally realized over IP Multicast as well as other use cases such
   as software update delivery.  A realization of "HTTP Multicast" over
   "IP Multicast" is described for the video delivery use case.  IP
   Multicast is commonly used for IPTV services.  DVB and BBF also
   develope a reference architecture for IP Multicast service.  A few
   problems with IP Multicast, such as waste of transmission bandwidth,
   increase in signaling when there are few users are described.
   Realization over BIER, through a BIER Multicast Overlay Layer, is
   described as an alternative.  How BIER Multicast Overlay operation
   improves over IP Multicast, such as reduction in signaling, dynamic
   creation of multicast groups to reduce signaling and bandwidth
   wastage is described.  We conclude with a few next steps.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/