Subject: [Bier] draft-chen-bier-frr-02 - relation to tunnel-based bier-frr

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:10:26 +0100

Hi all, in particular authors of draft-chen-bier-frr,

in the introduction of your draft you state issues with tunnel-based
frr, but the text is unclear to me:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-bier-frr-02#section-1

To avoid this supposed shortcoming, you propose a different bier-frr
approach. Can you clarify, please?

An in-depts comparison between tunnel-based frr, which leverages frr of
the underlay, and "native frr on the bier layer" can be found here:
https://atlas.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~menth/papers/Menth20c.pdf

The latter approach has been first published as
[3] I. Wijnands, G. J. Shepherd, C. J. Martin, and R. Asati, Per-Prefix
LFA FRR with Bit Indexed Explicit Replication,
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20180278470A1/en, Sep.2018.

AFAIK this is also the concept followed by draft-chen-bier-frr, but I am
not fully sure as this has not been cited. Reaction speeds of both
mechanisms should be similar as they depend mainly on the time to
notification about the failure. Experimental results for
draft-merling-bier-frr are provided in the paper cited in my previous email.

Kind regards

Michael

-- 
Prof. Dr. habil. Michael Menth
University of Tuebingen
Faculty of Science
Department of Computer Science
Chair of Communication Networks
Sand 13, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
phone: (+49)-7071/29-70505
fax: (+49)-7071/29-5220
mailto:[email-masked]
http://kn.inf.uni-tuebingen.de

---

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 11:10:32 +0100

Opportunity to join in the effort with according author's list?

-- tony

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:10 AM Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> BIER mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bier
>