Subject: [BLISS] [Fwd: Call for Papers: SFSIW-1]

From: Shida Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:39:07 -0800

Below is an announcement/call for paper for a workshop
addressing the fundamental SIP interoperability problems
(Not of certain feature groups) that's been discussed on
the RAI list.

--- Starting the original e-mail ----------

CALL FOR PAPERS AND PARTICIPATION
 
The 1st SIP Forum SIP Interoperability Workshop (SFSIW-1)
 
Co-located with the 70th Internet Engineering Task Force Meeting (IETF 70)
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/70-IETF.html

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission deadline: 27 November 2007
Notification of presentation acceptance: 30 November 2007
Workshop date: 3 December 2007, 11am  12:30pm Pacific Time

AIMS AND SCOPE
SIP has been gaining traction as a preferred network signaling protocol for
real-time communications networks. There has been a considerable amount of
low-level protocol testing and interoperability, such as provided by the SIP
Interoperability Test event, or SIPit, which is in its seventh year. There
are many independent implementations of clients, servers, proxies,
back-to-back User Agents, registrars, and the like. In addition, there are
significant network deployments, many at scale.
 
While this is all good, deployment experience is showing that
interoperability is difficult to achieve. Products from a single vendor tend
to work well with each other. However, multi-vendor interoperability,
especially above the basic stack level, has historically been difficult to
achieve. In fact, the proof point of the success of vendors attending SIPit
indicates interoperability problems may not be due to the specification
itself.
 
This workshop serves as a forum to bring together researchers, engineers,
and service providers to exchange ideas, share experiences, and propose
approaches to address interoperability problems. Particular focus will be on
systemic or architectural problems, as opposed to simple implementation
errors. 
 
If the workshop identifies concrete proposals to improve interoperability
that would require modifications to the underlying protocols, these
proposals will be forwarded to the appropriate groups in the IETF.
 
We encourage contributions describing interoperability and SIP. The topics
of interest include but are not limited to:
 
* Interoperability failures seen in the field or lab
* Deployment experiences
* Development experiences
* Open source projects and experiences
* Failures discovered in the field after successful lab testing
* Common failure modes
* Interoperability test methodologies
* Interoperability test experiences
* Architectural principals
* Proposals for achieving interoperability
* Proposals for improving development
* Proposals for soliciting additional real-world feedback from implementers
and service providers

POSITION PAPERS
Individuals must submit a position paper relevant to SIP interoperability to
participate in the workshop. Acceptable formats are IETF Internet Draft
style (in HTML or plain text), IEEE Computer Society Proceedings Manuscripts
style (in PDF), ACM Transactions style (in PDF), or presentation style (in
PDF). The papers should be no longer than 6 pages if in IEEE or ACM style or
10 pages of text in Internet Draft style. There is no minimum length
requirement. You are allowed to submit relevant, previously published works.
 
Papers received by the submission deadline will be posted to the Workshop
web site, unless the author(s) request withholding publication. The
author(s) may retain copyright or assign it to the SIP Forum or the IETF. If
you are submitting a paper that already has a copyright assignment, such as
an IEEE or ACM conference or journal paper, please apply the appropriate
self-publication disclaimers demanded by those organizations.
 
Submit your position paper using EasyChair at the following address:
http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sfsiw1

WORKSHOP FORMAT
There is only a limited time available at the venue for this first workshop.
The expectation is this will be a highly interactive workshop. In order to
frame the conversation, the workshop chair will open the discussion. At the
discretion of the Program Committee and dependent upon the quality and
number of position papers received, a limited number of position papers may
be presented. Note that all position papers will be published, unless the
author(s) request withholding publication.

WORKSHOP FEES
The workshop, including lunch, is free of charge to participants. Stated
differently, submitting a position paper, no matter how brief, pays for your
lunch. The IETF has graciously provided a conference room at the venue. As
such, we will not turn away non-participants. However, it is possible
non-participants may not be allowed to participate and certainly will not
get lunch.
 
WORKSHOP CHAIR:
Robert Sparks
Protocol Barbarian, Estacado Systems
[email-masked]
 
PROGRAM CHAIR:
Eric Burger
Deputy CTO, BEA Systems
[email-masked]
 
PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
Robert Sparks, [email-masked]
Anwar Siddiqui, [email-masked]
Bob Penfield, [email-masked]
Eric Burger, [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
BLISS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bliss