Subject: RE: [bmwg] RE: Wire speed definition

From: Jim McQuaid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:41:53 -0500

I agree with Scott.  The only meaningful definition is handling the maximum
possible frame rate, i.e. the minimum size packets.  This is the "implied"
definition of wire speed, even if the reality is quite different.

Every so often there has been discussion of "average" traffic or "typical"
traffic.  It is possible to imagine coming up with some defined 'bag of
frames' that represents "typical traffic" but in reality the consensus is
never there.  There is no such thing as ""typical" traffic for testing
purposes.  The well-defined (if artificial) traffic loads of 2544 and others
are the workable, implementable and consensus ways to do this, it seems.

Jim McQuaid

NetIQ

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Bradner [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 8:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] RE: Wire speed definition

> RFC 2544 and its' parent 1944 don't use the term wire-speed.

and I think that was an omission 
too many people are using the term "wire speed" in their own ways

Internet average packet size, Internet packet size mix, and minimum
sized packets are all definitions I've seen - to me its only the last
one that makes sense

Scott

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: Jambi Ganbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:43:02 -0500 (EST)

I'd like to point out that while there is no typical traffic definition
there are some studies that do map out a typical packet size distribution
which could be used for equipment performance validation.
Caida has published the following paper:
http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/AIX0005/ which should provide some
useful data on the subject.
I'd be happy to see more pointers for information on the subject.
Jambi

vBNS Engineering
(703) 886 1714