Subject: [bmwg] draft-ietf-bmwg-mcastm-08 (version November 2002)

From: "Perser, Jerry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:18:23 -0700

Debbie,

Can you do a global replace on the term "maximum throughput rate" with just
"throughput"?  Throughput (RFC1242) is already defined as a maximum rate.
Saying there is a maximum throughput implies there is also a minimum
throughput.

After three years, I think I understand the two methods in Mixed Class
Throughput.  They are not different set ups, but different ways of
specifying the same set up.  An example. Say multicast traffic is rate X,
and unicast traffic is rate Y.

Method A: would specify rate X and rate Y.

Method B: would specify an aggregate rate (X+Y) and a ratio (X/Y) or X:Y.

Either way the same frames are transmitted.  The setup is the same, the only
difference is the GUI.

May I suggest that we drop the second method.  The first method is more
atomic (X and Y) instead of a composite (X+Y).  If you really want to keep
both ways, reword it so that the reader does not think there are two ways to
"set up the test."

A small comment on version control.  I have two copies of version 8 of
draft-ietf-bmwg-mcastm-08.txt.  One dated December 2001, and one dated
November 2002.  I download the drafts into my laptop since I don't always
have Internet access (too expensive on the plane).  It helps me if you bump
up the version number on each release.  Also your "November 2002" version
says "Expires in:  November 2002".  It should be 6 months after the date on
the bottom of the page (not the same).

Jerry.

___________________________________________________________ 
Jerry Perser                         Spirent Communications
Director of Test Methodology         SmartBits Division 
Phone: 818.676.2320                  26750 Agoura Road 
Lab:   818.676.2337                  Calabasas, CA, 91302 
Cell:  818.292.6457                  Corp:  818.676.2300

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg