Subject: [bmwg] congestion...

From: Michele Bustos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:17:27 -0800

My Dear JP,
While researching the subject surrounding the attempt to resolve contentious
issues regarding the
definition of the term "congestion", there are some other possible words to
offer which may better 
suit your proposed definition:
"A condition in which one or more egress interfaces are offered more packets
than are forwarded."
Although we all can agree that obstipation/constipation SHOULD not be used
due to the inferred meanings, how about:
spissitude
lentor
glutinosity

None of these words have been defined/used throughout the telecommunications
industry to my knowledge.

Discussion:
The actual algorithm or mechanism I used to assemble these terms is not
important in describing the 
addition of fiber to one's diet, although I'm confident that offered fiber
could help someone 
manage their congestion. ;)

Michele Bustos
(818) 444-3244

IXIA
26601 West Agoura Road
Calabasas CA 91302 
Tel: 818 871 1800 (US) 
+1 818 871 1800 (international) 

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:14:11 -0800

I think if we went for these words, we would have to start describing links 
as thixotropic.

Good grief. The delay from here to there is the sum of:

  - the propagation delay of the links (speed of light in the media)
  - the serialization delay of the links (size of the message divided by 
interface rate)
  - the host delay of the end systems and the forwarding delay of the 
routers or switches
  - the queuing delay resulting from traffic awaiting its turn to be 
transmitted

That last is variable; host delay and forwarding delay may or may not be, 
and propagation and serialization delay for constant sized messages are 
not. A congested interface is one for which the queuing delay is measurably 
non-zero, and as a result causes issues for applications running over the 
connected internet fabric. It is hard to meaningfully discuss without 
bringing the effects on the applications into the discussion.

spissitude

\Spis"si*tude\, n. [L. spissitudo.] The quality or state of being 
spissated; as, the spissitude of coagulated blood, or of any coagulum. 
--Arbuthnot.

spissated

\Spis"sa*ted\, a. Rendered dense or compact, as by evaporation; 
inspissated; thickened. [R.]

lentor

\Len"tor\ (-t[o^]r), n. [L., fr. lentus pliant, tough, slow. See Lent, a.] 
1. Tenacity; viscidity, as of fluids.

>glutinosity

glu·ti·nous
adj.
Of the nature of or resembling glue; sticky.

----------
[Middle English, from Latin gl1a7d48b.jpgtin1a7d4b4.jpgsus, from 
gl1a7d4d2.jpgten, gl1a7d504.jpgtin-, glue.]

glutinosity

\Glu`ti*nos"i*ty\, n. [Cf. F. glutinosit['e] .] The quality of being 
glutinous; viscousness. [R.]

glutinosity

n : the property of having a viscosity like jelly [syn: gelatinousness, 
glutinousness]

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:14:11 -0800

spissitude

spissated

lentor

glu·ti·nous
adj.

----------

glutinosity

glutinosity