Subject: RE: [bmwg] New WG Deliverable Proposal - Core Router Software Acc elerated Life Testing

From: Michele Bustos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:33:24 -0700

This will be a valuable document for the BMWG and a welcome addition to BMWG
deliverables.  I support it and I think we should accept it.
/m

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Dubray [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 4:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] New WG Deliverable Proposal - Core Router Software
Accelerated Life Testing

BMWG,

It has been proposed that the WG support a new work item
relative to the individually-submitted I-D "Terminology for
Benchmarking Core Router Software Accelerated Life Testing":

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-routersalt-term-01.txt

Goal:

If undertaken by the WG, the objective of this effort is to produce
a terminology and methodology set of drafts that specifies the benchmarking
of router software under accelerated stress conditions.

Scope:

The focus of this effort is to benchmark the behavior of Internet Core
Routers in accelerated stress conditions.  Routers in other contexts are
outside the scope of this effort.

Motivation:

Router testing benchmarks have consistently been made in a
monolithic fashion in which a single protocol or behavior is
measured in an isolated environment.  It is important to know the
limits for a router/switch's (hereby referred to as Router) behavior
for each protocol, however this does not produce a reliable benchmark
of the router's behavior in a deployed network.  Routers in an
operational network are simultaneously configured with multiple
protocols and security policies while forwarding traffic and being
managed.  To accurately benchmark a router for deployment it is
necessary to test that router in operational conditions by
simultaneously configuring the network protocols and security
policies, sourcing traffic, and managing the router.  It is helpful
to accelerate these network operational conditions so that the
router under test can be benchmarked with faster test duration.
Testing a router in accelerated network conditions is known as
Accelerated Life Testing.

If you wish to offer your thoughts as to whether the BMWG should
or should not undertake the effort as a WG deliverable, please
email your comments to this list or [email-masked] no later
than 07 May 03.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg
_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: Michele Bustos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:33:24 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Dubray [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 4:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] New WG Deliverable Proposal - Core Router Software
Accelerated Life Testing

BMWG,

Goal:

Scope:

Motivation:

---

From: Tony DeLaRosa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:55:20 -0700

I recommend that the BMWG undertake the effort to make this a WG
deliverable.

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Dubray [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 4:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] New WG Deliverable Proposal - Core Router Software
Accelerated Life Testing

BMWG,

It has been proposed that the WG support a new work item relative to the
individually-submitted I-D "Terminology for Benchmarking Core Router
Software Accelerated Life Testing":

Goal:

If undertaken by the WG, the objective of this effort is to produce a
terminology and methodology set of drafts that specifies the benchmarking of
router software under accelerated stress conditions.

Scope:

Motivation:

Router testing benchmarks have consistently been made in a monolithic
fashion in which a single protocol or behavior is measured in an isolated
environment.  It is important to know the limits for a router/switch's
(hereby referred to as Router) behavior for each protocol, however this does
not produce a reliable benchmark of the router's behavior in a deployed
network.  Routers in an operational network are simultaneously configured
with multiple protocols and security policies while forwarding traffic and
being managed.  To accurately benchmark a router for deployment it is
necessary to test that router in operational conditions by simultaneously
configuring the network protocols and security policies, sourcing traffic,
and managing the router.  It is helpful to accelerate these network
operational conditions so that the router under test can be benchmarked with
faster test duration. Testing a router in accelerated network conditions is
known as Accelerated Life Testing.

If you wish to offer your thoughts as to whether the BMWG should or should
not undertake the effort as a WG deliverable, please email your comments to
this list or [email-masked] no later than 07 May 03.

---

From: Tony DeLaRosa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:55:20 -0700

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Dubray [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 4:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] New WG Deliverable Proposal - Core Router Software
Accelerated Life Testing

BMWG,

Goal:

Scope:

Motivation:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:31:47 -0600

I support that this become a WG document.
Ananda 

> From: Tony DeLaRosa [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 7:25 PM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: [bmwg] New WG Deliverable Proposal - Core Router Software
> Acc elerated Life Testing
> 
> 
> relative to the

Goal:

Scope:

Motivation:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:31:47 -0600

Goal:

Scope:

Motivation:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:20:52 +0800

I would like to add my support to this proposal.

Many service provider labs and most router NEMs are already finding it useful and necessary to test the control and data planes simultaneously to stress the router... not only under realistic conditions and under extreme conditions, but also for extended durations to test reliability / resiliency.

John Nakulski
Data Networks Division, Agilent Technologies.

Goal:

Scope:

Motivation:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:20:52 +0800

John Nakulski

Goal:

Scope:

Motivation: