Subject: [bmwg] New WG Deliverable Proposal - Core Router Software Accelerated Life Testing

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 19:51:15 -0400

BMWG,

It has been proposed that the WG support a new work item
relative to the individually-submitted I-D "Terminology for
Benchmarking Core Router Software Accelerated Life Testing":

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-routersalt-term-01.txt

Goal:

If undertaken by the WG, the objective of this effort is to produce
a terminology and methodology set of drafts that specifies the benchmarking
of router software under accelerated stress conditions.

Scope:

The focus of this effort is to benchmark the behavior of Internet Core
Routers in accelerated stress conditions.  Routers in other contexts are
outside the scope of this effort.

Motivation:

Router testing benchmarks have consistently been made in a
monolithic fashion in which a single protocol or behavior is
measured in an isolated environment.  It is important to know the
limits for a router/switch's (hereby referred to as Router) behavior
for each protocol, however this does not produce a reliable benchmark
of the router's behavior in a deployed network.  Routers in an
operational network are simultaneously configured with multiple
protocols and security policies while forwarding traffic and being
managed.  To accurately benchmark a router for deployment it is
necessary to test that router in operational conditions by
simultaneously configuring the network protocols and security
policies, sourcing traffic, and managing the router.  It is helpful
to accelerate these network operational conditions so that the
router under test can be benchmarked with faster test duration.
Testing a router in accelerated network conditions is known as
Accelerated Life Testing.

If you wish to offer your thoughts as to whether the BMWG should
or should not undertake the effort as a WG deliverable, please
email your comments to this list or [email-masked] no later
than 07 May 03.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg