Subject: [bmwg] yet another iesg comment on draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-09.txt

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:01:17 -0800

Overall, I like it.  A couple of things jumped out at me, though.
This document goes to a lot of trouble to say exactly what is
exported (e.g. what fields, etc), except for two cases:

      8. byte counter
         Which bytes of a packet are counted MUST be defined exactly.

     20. multicast replication factor
         the number of outgoing packets originating from a single   
         incoming multicast packet. This is a dynamic property of     
         multicast flows, that may change over time. For unicast flows  
         it has the constant value 1. The computation of the factor MUST
         be clearly defined.

This document is defining what fields are being reported on;
why can't it also define these two things that must also be
defined?  Is it useful to have different ipfix protocols exporting
different measurements?

Also, at the end of 6.1 it kind of says "Plus other stuff related to inter-AS
routing if you want".  It's already in the MAY section; can't they just
list some concrete items related to inter-AS routing as 27, 28, ...?
I don't think it's useful to say what amounts to "plus anything else that
you might feel like adding that you think is relevant", since that doesn't
encourage different people to make the same choices.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg