Subject: [bmwg] Summary of changes to mcast .12 rev

From: Debby Stopp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:58:50 -0700

Here's a summary of the changes from .12 rev to .13 rev:

1) o The DUT/SUT MUST learn the appropriate unicast addresses; and"
   to:
   o  The DUT/SUT MUST learn the appropriate unicast and multicast
addresses; and"

2) "The following results MUST be reflected in the test report:

   o The Max/Min value
   o The set of all latencies with respective time units 
related to the
tested ingress and each tested egress DUT/SUT interface."

   to:

   "The following results MUST be reflected in the test report:
   o The Max/Min value

   The following results SHOULD be reflected in the test report:
   o The set of all latencies with respective time units 
related to the
tested ingress and each tested egress DUT/SUT interface."

3) "Mixed class throughput measurement is defined in RFC2432 [Du98]. A
search algorithm MUST be utilized to determine the Mixed 
Class Throughput."

   to:

   "Mixed class throughput measurement is defined in RFC2432 [Du98]. A
search algorithm MUST be utilized to determine the Mixed 
Class Throughput.  
    The ratio of unicast to multicast frames MUST remain the same when
varying the intended load."

4)from section 4.1:
"The unicast class frames MUST be configured to transmit in a round-robin
fashion to all of the destination ports."

    to:

"The unicast class frames MUST be configured to transmit in an unweighted
round-robin fashion to all of the destination ports."

5) Modified text for Join Delay text to include ref of state 0/1:
Method A:

Method A assumes that the Multicast Forwarding Database <MFDB> of the
DUT/SUT does not contain or has not learned the specified 
multicast group
address; specifically, the MFDB MUST be in State 0.  In this 
scenario, the
metric represents the time the DUT/SUT takes to add the 
multicast address to
the MFDB and begin forwarding the multicast packet.  Only one 
ingress and
one egress MUST be used to determine this metric.

Prior to sending any IGMP Group Membership Reports used to 
calculate the
Multicast Group Join Delay, it MUST be verified through externally
observable means that the destination test port is not 
currently a member of
the specified multicast group.  In addition, it MUST be 
verified through
externally observable means that the MFDB of the DUT/SUT does 
not contain
the specified multicast address.

Method B:

Method B assumes that the MFDB of the DUT/SUT does contain 
the specified
multicast group address; specifically, the MFDB MUST be in 
State 1.  In this
scenario, the metric represents the time the DUT/SUT takes to 
update the
MFDB with the additional nodes and their corresponding 
interfaces and to
begin forwarding the multicast packet.  One or more egress 
ports MAY be used
to determine this metric.

Prior to sending any IGMP Group Membership Reports used to 
calculate the
Group Join Delay, it MUST be verified through externally 
observable means
that the MFDB contains the specified multicast group address. 
 A single
un-instrumented test port MUST be used to join the specified 
multicast group
address prior to sending any test traffic.  This port will be 
used only for
insuring that the MFDB has been populated with the specified 
multicast group
address and can successfully forward traffic to the 
un-instrumented port.

6) In section 6.1, change this text <add method to MUST 
config params>:

"Similar to Section 6.1, the following configuration 
parameters MUST be
reflected in the test report:

o Frame size(s) 
o Number of tested egress interfaces on the DUT/SUT 
o IGMP version
o Offered load to ingress interface
o Total number of multicast groups
o Offered load to burdening ports
o Total number of burdening ports"

   to:

"Similar to Section 6.1, the following configuration 
parameters MUST be
reflected in the test report:

o Frame size(s) 
o Number of tested egress interfaces on the DUT/SUT 
o IGMP version
o Offered load to ingress interface
o Total number of multicast groups
o Offered load to burdening ports
o Total number of burdening ports
o Method used to measure the join delay metric"

Debby Stopp 
Principal Software Engineer
(818) 444-2365

IXIA
26601 W. Agoura Rd. 
Calabasas 
CA 91302 
Tel: 818 871 1800 (US) +1 818 871 1800 (international) 

[email-masked]
http://www.ixiacom.com

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg