Subject: [bmwg] Update of Protection Terminology Draft

From: Takumi Kimura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:28:22 +0900 (JST)

BMWG,

We have revised the Protection Terminology Draft.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kimura-protection-term-02.txt

This document addresses common terminology and metrics for the
performance benchmarking of sub-IP layer protection technologies:
Automatic Protection Switching (APS) for SONET/SDH, Resilient Packet
Ring (RPR) for Ethernet, and Fast Reroute for Multi-Protocol Label
Switching (MPLS).  The benchmarks describe the performance based on
the effects in the IP-layer, to avoid dependence on a specific sub-IP
layer protection technology.

Changes from the previous version are followings:

1. To add new terms
    - Base Latency (defined in stable state)
    - Sequence-Error Period (derived from loss, out-of-order and duplicate)
    - Loss Period (derived from loss)
    - Unstable-latency Period (derived from positive Induced Latency)

2. To make Induced Latency more understandable:
      It is defined as Difference from Base Latency.

3. To make Recovery Time more accurate:
      It is defined by Sequence-Error Period and Unstable-latency
      Period.  As one alternative, "Recovery Time by Loss Period"
      is defined by Loss Period.

Thank you for your many comments in Vienna.
But we and Scott cannot yet agree about the focus which is common
or specific for sub-IP technologies.

Please send comments on this draft to the list or the authors.

Thanks,

Takumi

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg