Subject: [bmwg] CPU and Memory Performance of Routing Protocols.

From: "Hesham Elbakoury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:31:03 -0800

Are there any RFCs that describe the factors that affect the CPU and
memory performance
   of routing protocols and typical memory and CPU usage of these protocols
under diffent
   networking configurations.

   Hesham

---

From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:20:59 -0500

At 6:31 AM -0800 10/29/03, Hesham Elbakoury wrote:
>    Are there any RFCs that describe the factors that affect the CPU 
>and memory performance
>    of routing protocols and typical memory and CPU usage of these 
>protocols under diffent

There is methodology for describing external performance of routing 
protocols by "black box" benchmarking, and some work on "white box" 
assuming probes into the routing code.  It's fair to say, however, 
that the IETF would not get involved in evaluation memory and CPU, 
since those are so highly dependent on vendor-specific router design.

Let me put it this way, since I used to be a router developer at 
Nortel -- there is no way, other than in the strange minds [1] of 
salesdroids, to make realistic comparisons of usage between a Cisco 
IOS router, a Bay RS router, the things in Ottawa that never got out 
of the lab, a Passport running routing protocols, a Juniper running 
JunOS, etc.  You can do benchmarks, but the memory and CPU is too 
specific for any RFC.

[1] I recognize I _am_ making an assumption here about the existence 
of certain substances between the ears of salesdroids.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:20:59 -0500