Subject: RE: [bmwg] Terminology Question: Throughput

From: "Perser, Jerry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:51:44 -0800

> Forget about frequencies, rates, ... all throughput measurements are 
> still done by looking at packet counters !

Not as long as the definition of throughput uses rate (or frequencies).
Please read section 9.3 of the draft-ietf-bmwg-ipsec-term-02 I-D.  The
authors insist that throughput is a rate, not a count.

> I suggest you re-read the Spirent Test Methodology paper, case TM-0100. 
> You will find nothing in there that even indicates that rates are compared
!

Does it say which rate should be reported as the throughput?  The problem
with rates (plural) is that not all of them can be the throughput.  Weather
it is inbound, outbound, clear, or crypto, the terminology needs to be clear
on which rate is the throughput.

My question still is which one of the rates is reported as the throughput?
Using terms from RFC2285, is it the ILOAD, OLOAD or FR ?  Or are there
better terms to describe where?

Jerry.

PS. as much as you and I like Spirent, it may not be a good thing to name
vendors.  The IETF is suppose to be neutral ground.

___________________________________________________________ 
Jerry Perser                         Spirent Communications
Director of Test Methodology         SmartBits Division 
Phone: 818.676.2320                  26750 Agoura Road 
Lab:   818.676.2337                  Calabasas, CA, 91302 
Cell:  818.292.6457                  Corp:  818.676.2300

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "Daniel Bui" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:54:04 -0800

Could there be a possibility that the Input Rate is not equal to the
output Rate and still not lose frames? High Latency? Buffering? If so
then the authors can add it to the Issues section. In section 9.3 the
authors did specified that the measured units are in pps or Mbps:

9.3.1 IPsec Tunnel Throughput

   Measurement Units:

      Packets per seconds (pps), Mbps

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Perser, Jerry
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 4:52 PM
To: 'Tim Van Herck'
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [bmwg] Terminology Question: Throughput

!

Does it say which rate should be reported as the throughput?  The
problem
with rates (plural) is that not all of them can be the throughput.
Weather
it is inbound, outbound, clear, or crypto, the terminology needs to be
clear
on which rate is the throughput.

My question still is which one of the rates is reported as the
throughput?
Using terms from RFC2285, is it the ILOAD, OLOAD or FR ?  Or are there
better terms to describe where?

Jerry.

PS. as much as you and I like Spirent, it may not be a good thing to
name
vendors.  The IETF is suppose to be neutral ground.

---

From: "Daniel Bui" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:54:04 -0800

Measurement Units:

Daniel

-----Original Message-----

!

Jerry.