Subject: RE: [bmwg] Terminology Question: Throughput

From: "Perser, Jerry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:13:01 -0800

> I believe IPSEC is a special case where it is not so clear cut in terms 
> of ingress and egress but rather in the sense of clear and crypto 
> traffic applied to throughput or forwarding rates.
> 
> 	Tim-
> 

Where do I connect my RATE probe to make the throughput measurement?

RFC1242 was very clear on stating "input frames per second".  "Terminology
for Benchmarking IPSec Devices" MUST be equal clear cut in terms of ingress
and egress as RFC1242 was.

Throughput does not equal Forwarding rate.  The RATE probe is connected in
different places.  You have used the term correctly here.  I would suggest
that your I-D reflects this.  I disagree with the concept that Throughput is
defined as a Forwarding rate.

Jerry.

___________________________________________________________ 
Jerry Perser                         Spirent Communications
Director of Test Methodology         SmartBits Division 
Phone: 818.676.2320                  26750 Agoura Road 
Lab:   818.676.2337                  Calabasas, CA, 91302 
Cell:  818.292.6457                  Corp:  818.676.2300

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: Tim Van Herck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:25:27 -0800

Jerry,

> Where do I connect my RATE probe to make the throughput measurement?

Since when do you obtain a throughput number by comparing input/ingress 
and output/egress rate ????? So an offered load of X that results in an 
ARP storm of X on the egress is a throughput number from now on ????

I believe all the Spirent equipment measures throughput with a binary 
search by setting a offered load X and sending that stream for N seconds 
and then comparing the Rx'd signature frames vs the Tx'd frames, right.
I don't know of any devices that implemented throughput through a rate 
comparison. That would get you in trouble when control plane traffic 
kicks in !

> defined as a Forwarding rate.

When did we ever state that that was the case ? And if we ever did this 
was a mistake on our part ! Please point it out in the doc and we'll 
correct immediately !

	Tim-

---

From: Tim Van Herck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:25:27 -0800

Jerry,

	Tim-