Subject: [bmwg] Hash and stuffing: Possible new work item for bmwg

From: David Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:03:37 -0700 (PDT)

BMWGers,

We propose a new work item concerning the contents of test traffic.

The individual ID listed below is a starting point.  Please review it,
mindful that a) it's draft 00; and b) it's a different approach than the
usual terminology-first-then-methodology IDs.  This is essentially some
notes from the field concerning the use of bmwg methodologies.

We look forward to a good discussion in San Diego. Thanks.

David Newman
Timmons C. Player

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>
>
>         Title           : Hash and Stuffing: Overlooked Factors in Network
>                           Device Benchmarking
>         Author(s)       : D. Newman, T. Player
>         Filename        : draft-newman-hash-stuffing-00.txt
>         Pages           : 22
>         Date            : 2004-7-14
>
>Test engineers take pains to declare all factors that affect a given
>    measurement, including offered load, packet length, test duration,
>    and traffic orientation.  However, current benchmarking practice
>    overlooks two factors that have a profound impact on test results.
>    First, existing methodologies do not require the reporting of
>    addresses or other test traffic contents, even though these fields
>    can affect test results.  Second, "stuff" bits and bytes inserted in
>    test traffic by some link-layer technologies add significant and
>    variable overhead, which in turn affects test results.  This document
>    describes the effects of these factors; recommends guidelines for
>    test traffic contents; and offers formulas for determining the
>    probability of bit- and byte-stuffing in test traffic.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-hash-stuffing-00.txt
>
>To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
>[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
>message.
>You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
>to change your subscription settings.
>
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>         "get draft-newman-hash-stuffing-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>         [email-masked].
>In the body type:
>         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-hash-stuffing-00.txt".
>
>NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>         how to manipulate these messages.
>
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-hash-stuffing-00.txt
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-hash-stuffing-00.txt>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:16:37 -0400

>We look forward to a good discussion in San Diego. Thanks.

I'm not sure if I'm delighted or concerned that my first reaction to 
seeing this title was "why didn't my filters put it into my cooking 
and gardening folder?"  If the culinary metaphor is deliberate, 
that's in the fine tradition of introducing some humor into IETF 
technology naming.