Subject: [bmwg] draft-ietfbmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-meth-12

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:02:53 -0400

Folks,

For the most part, this is a very well-written document. The following
are a few picky comments:

Section 3.2.2 - In this section, you say that running BGP in addition to
the IGP under test can influence your results. This is certainly true.
However, you could run lots of other things on the router that would
also influence your results (e.g., PIM, your favorite game server). Why
not make a more general statement?

Section 3.2.3 - You say "The number of IGP routes will impact the
measured IGP Route Convergence because convergence for the entire route
table is measured". Wouldn't the number of IGP routes impact the
measured IGP convergence even if this were not true?

Section 3.2.4 - Why do you recommend minimum timer settings. Wouldn't
the tester get a better idea of how the DUT will behave in his network
if he used the values that he intends to use in his network?

Section 3.2.6 - You might want to add a paragraph explaining that each
interface type has a unique mechanism for detecting link failures and
the speed at which that mechanism works will influence your results.

Section 4. In each of your tests, you make a convergence event happen in
Step 4. You undo that action in Step 7. In Step 8, you "Measure
Restoration Convergence Time as {event A} and {event B}.

First, you might want to make clear that the convergence time is the
*difference* between time B and time A. Second, you might want to add a
sentence indicating how you know when events A and B occurred. (Which
log should you look at.) Also talk about clock synchronization issues,
if any.

                                        Ron

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "Poretsky, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:47:27 -0400

Hi Ron,

These are good points and will be incorporated into a -13 before the
deadline.  If I have follow-up questions to the comments I will post
those to the list.

Thanks again for the detailed review.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Bonica [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] draft-ietfbmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-meth-12

Folks,

                                        Ron