Subject: [bmwg] Comments on sip term draft 03

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:29:56 -0400

Scott, Vijay, and Carol,

Here are my (belated) comments triggered by previous versions
of your drafts. It seems that most of them still apply,
and I've tried to include the most up-to-date text.

Al
(as a bmwg participant)

term 03

Overall

It would be helpful to have a table giving the listing of
all variables like "session.sig" and their definition.

term S 3.1 (now) Protocol Components:

This section has been substantially revised in 03, and it seems
to address my comments:

   - The earlier term "SIP Media Plane" was awkward.
     Now 3.1.3 "Media Plane" is more appropriate.

   - In general, there was not enough detail in terms of direct
     references to SIP messages.  The new text describing Figures
     1 and 2 seem to take care of this.  But is this text part of
     the Discussion section under 3.1.1?  It currently follows the
     Related terms (the last item in 3.1.1).

   - Criteria for Establishment and Success are much more clear now.

However, I read in 3.1.3 that:

>    Discussion:
>       Media may also be known as the the "payload" or "bearer channel".
                                       ^^^
IMO, calling the media plane "payload" is just slang, and it sets
some people's teeth on edge to use the term "bearer" with our
connection-less IP networks.  I suggest just deleting this sentence.
(bearer isn't used anywhere else in the memo)

term S 3.3

>3.3.1. IS Attempt
>
>    Definition:
>       An I-Session Attempt is an event in the Signaling Plane identified
>       by the appearance of a new SIP Call-Id.

For this event (and others), I suggest to be clear about *where*
the events should be observed so that event counts will be consistent
across test set-ups.

>3.3.2. IS Duration
>
>    Definition:
>       The time for the first SIP message with the session&pos;s Call-ID
>       until the last message for the session with that Call-ID.

The start time and stop time for the interval are clear now, but
*where* these messages are observed will influence their timing.

term 03  S 3.4

General: some of the metrics refer to states such as the
"disconnecting state".  These must be defined by observable
events.

>3.4.1. Maximum Registration Rate
>
>    Definition:
>       The maximum number of registrations that can be successfully
>       completed by the DUT/SUT in a given time period.

Question: Since the rate is given on per second intervals, that
guarantees some degree of smoothing, but would bursty registration
attempts during a second influence the results?

>3.4.8. IM Rate
>
>    Definition:
>       Maximum number of IM messages completed successfully by the DUT/
>       SUT.

I suggest to call this Instant Message (IM) Rate (in addition to
spelling out the acronym when first used).

Is there a possible difference between IM messages and packets
required to convey the message? (e.g., they are not 1 to 1 ?).

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg