Subject: [bmwg] Document Action: 'Device Reset Characterization' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:44:08 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Device Reset Characterization'
  (draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-06.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-reset/

Technical Summary
An operational forwarding device may need to be re-started
(automatically or manually) for a variety of reasons, an event that
we call a "reset" in this document. Since there may be an
interruption in the forwarding operation during a reset, it is
useful to know how long a device takes to resume the forwarding
operation.

This document specifies a methodology for characterizing reset (and
recovery time) during benchmarking of forwarding devices, and
provides clarity and consistency in reset test procedures beyond
what's specified in RFC2544. It therefore updates RFC2544.

Working Group Summary
During the development of MPLS Forwarding Benchmarks as an add-on to our
fundamental forwarding plane memo, RFC 2544, the additional complexities
of RESET testing with current network devices became an issue.
The WG moved quickly to resolve the concerns with a new set of methods,
and this memo is the result. Consensus was achieved after issues were
resolved in list discussions.

Document Quality
Since this is an easily understood topic, many folks read this memo,
simply nodded and moved-on. Resets in hardware, in control software, and
interruption of power supply are addressed in this new methodology.

Personnel

Al Morton is document shepherd.