Subject: [bmwg] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-baker-bmwg-testing-eyeball-happiness-02.txt

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 05:09:49 -0500

BMWG,

Any last comments on this?

Al
bmwg chair

>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D Action:draft-baker-bmwg-testing-eyeball-happiness-02.txt
>X-Test-IDTracker: no
>X-IETF-IDTracker: 3.10
>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:30:02 -0800
>
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>         Title           : Testing Eyeball Happiness
>         Author(s)       : F. Baker
>         Filename        : draft-baker-bmwg-testing-eyeball-happiness-02.txt
>         Pages           : 11
>         Date            : 2010-12-14
>
>The amount of time it takes to establish a session using common
>transport APIs in dual stack networks and networks with filtering
>such as proposed in BCP 38 is a barrier to IPv6 deployment.  This
>note describes a test that can be used to determine whether an
>application can reliably establish sessions quickly in a complex
>environment such as dual stack (IPv4+IPv6) deployment or IPv6
>deployment with multiple prefixes and upstream ingress filtering.
>This test is not a test of a specific algorithm, but of the external
>behavior of the system as a black box.  Any algorithm that has the
>intended external behavior will be accepted by it.
>
>Requirements
>
>The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
>"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
>document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-baker-bmwg-testing-eyeball-happiness-02.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-baker-bmwg-testing-eyeball-happiness-02.txt>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:40:51 -0800

Actually, the current draft is -03, reachable at
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-bmwg-testing-eyeball-happiness

On Jan 18, 2011, at 2:09 AM, Al Morton wrote:

>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>> 
> bmwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: David Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:03:36 -0800

>     http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-bmwg-testing-eyeball-happiness

For the setup interval tests, I'm trying to understand how draft -03's
new "continuous" timing relates to section 2.2's instruction that
Alice's resolver cache be cleared between iterations and section 2.3.1's
instruction that the test be run once for each possible combination of
destination addresses.

Some traffic generators can be configured to run continuously, or for a
fixed duration, or for a fixed number of frames or transactions.

I *think* you just mean tcpdump (or whatever) runs continuously. True?

thanks

dn