Subject: Re: [bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:32:23 -0400

At 03:24 AM 3/28/2012, Aamer Akhter (aakhter)
wrote:

Hi Al,

:-) I don't have a strong opinion against the indirect
reference.

My preference would be to be more direct about it and perhaps even a

mention of IPFIX as a scalable way to gather this data in private

networks.

OK, what if we say:

...

The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is highly

variable and depends on many factors. An IMIX suited for one
networking

device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.

However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked
to

augment the fixed size tests. The references above cite the original

studies and their methodologies. Similar methods can be used to

determine new size mixes present on a link or network. We note that

the architecture for IP Flow Information Export [RFC5470] provides

one method to gather packet size information on private
networks.

Are there any other canonical ipfix RFCs that should also be
listed?

Al

-------- Original Message
--------

Subject:        Re: I-D
Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt

Date:   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:23:09 -0400

From:   Al Morton <[email-masked]>

To:     Aamer Akhter (aakhter)
<[email-masked]>

CC:     [email-masked]

Newsgroups:     gmane.ietf.bmwg

References:

<[email-masked]>

<[email-masked]>

<[email-masked]>

<[email-masked]
.com>

At 08:10 AM 3/27/2012, Aamer Akhter (aakhter) wrote:

> Al,

> Just following up on the quick discussion on the live meeting at

> IETF-83 regarding the creation of a representative the IMIX:

> A cntrl+f search against CAIDA didn't turn up any matches.

> Perhaps this got lost in the editing

Turns out that the CAIDA study is an indirect Reference, see
below:

1. Introduction

...

Streams of constant packet size differ significantly from the
conditions

encountered in operational deployment, and so additional tests are

sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet sizes. The set of sizes

used is often called an Internet Mix, or "IMIX"

[Spirent], [IXIA], [Agilent].

The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is highly

variable and depends on many factors. An IMIX suited for one
networking

device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.

However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked
to

augment the fixed size tests. The references above cite the original

studies and their methodologies - *similar methods can be used to

determine new size mixes.

*hope that does it,

Al

_______________________________________________

bmwg mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "Aamer Akhter (aakhter)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 12:56:18 -0500

Thanks Al-this is fine. 

I think the existing RFC reference is ok as well. 

From: Al Morton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 12:32 PM
To: Aamer Akhter (aakhter)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt

At 03:24 AM 3/28/2012, Aamer Akhter (aakhter) wrote:

Hi Al,

:-) I don't have a strong opinion against the indirect reference.

networks. 

OK, what if we say:

...
The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is highly
variable and depends on many factors. An IMIX suited for one networking
device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.
However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked to
augment the fixed size tests. The references above cite the original
studies and their methodologies. Similar methods can be used to
determine new size mixes present on a link or network. We note that
the architecture for IP Flow Information Export [RFC5470] provides
one method to gather packet size information on private networks.

Are there any other canonical ipfix RFCs that should also be listed?

Al

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt
Date:   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:23:09 -0400
From:   Al Morton <[email-masked]>
To:     Aamer Akhter (aakhter) <[email-masked]>
CC:     [email-masked]
Newsgroups:     gmane.ietf.bmwg
References:      <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked] .com
<mailto:[email-masked]%20.co
m> >

> Perhaps this got lost in the editing

Turns out that the CAIDA study is an indirect Reference, see below:

1. Introduction

...
Streams of constant packet size differ significantly from the conditions

The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is highly
variable and depends on many factors. An IMIX suited for one networking
device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.
However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked to
augment the fixed size tests. The references above cite the original
studies and their methodologies - *similar methods can be used to
determine new size mixes.

*hope that does it,
Al

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 14:15:23 -0400

At 01:56 PM 4/9/2012, Aamer Akhter (aakhter)
wrote:

Thanks Al—this is fine.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

Al