Subject: [bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 18:32:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : RFC 2544 Applicability Statement: Use on Production Networks Considered Harmful
	Author(s)       : Scott Bradner
                          Kevin Dubray
                          Jim McQuaid
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as-06.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-09-04

Abstract:
   Benchmarking Methodology Working Group (BMWG) has been developing key
   performance metrics and laboratory test methods since 1990, and
   continues this work at present.  The methods described in RFC 2544
   are intended to generate traffic that overloads network device
   resources in order to assess their capacity.  Overload of shared
   resources would likely be harmful to user traffic performance on a
   production network, and there are further negative consequences
   identified with production application of the methods.  This memo
   clarifies the scope of RFC 2544 and other IETF BMWG benchmarking work
   for isolated test environments only, and encourages new standards
   activity for measurement methods applicable outside that scope.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/