Subject: [bmwg] Latency test for an openflow controller

From: hassan hatim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 13:37:08 -0700 (PDT)

Dears

I did a latency test for an OpenFlow controller by cbench tool, the results is bellow:

-K56CB:~$ taskset -c 0-3 cbench -c  localhost -p 6633 -m 10000 -l 14 -w 2 -M 100000  -i 50 -I 5 -s  1
cbench: controller benchmarking tool
   running in mode 'latency'
   connecting to controller at localhost:6633 
   faking 1 switches offset 1 :: 14 tests each; 10000 ms per test
   with 100000 unique source MACs per switch
   learning destination mac addresses before the test
   starting test with 0 ms delay after features_reply
   ignoring first 2 "warmup" and last 0 "cooldown" loops
   connection delay of 50ms per 5 switch(es)
   debugging info is off
13:56:05.830 1   switches: flows/sec:  635968   total = 63.596794 per ms 
13:56:15.931 1   switches: flows/sec:  765060   total = 76.505992 per ms 
13:56:26.031 1   switches: flows/sec:  763596   total = 76.359592 per ms 
13:56:36.131 1   switches: flows/sec:  765249   total = 76.524892 per ms 
13:56:46.232 1   switches: flows/sec:  757221   total = 75.722062 per ms 
13:56:56.332 1   switches: flows/sec:  771945   total = 77.194492 per ms 
13:57:06.432 1   switches: flows/sec:  755700   total = 75.569992 per ms 
13:57:16.532 1   switches: flows/sec:  755304   total = 75.530392 per ms 
13:57:26.632 1   switches: flows/sec:  754737   total = 75.473692 per ms 
13:57:36.733 1   switches: flows/sec:  755922   total = 75.592192 per ms 
13:57:46.833 1   switches: flows/sec:  756075   total = 75.607492 per ms 
13:57:56.933 1   switches: flows/sec:  757404   total = 75.740392 per ms 
13:58:07.033 1   switches: flows/sec:  761826   total = 76.182592 per ms 
13:58:17.134 1   switches: flows/sec:  772500   total = 77.249992 per ms 
RESULT: 1 switches 12 tests min/max/avg/stdev = 75473.69/77249.99/76062.31/614.30 responses/s

Does it right that the calculation for the latency is done by dividing 100000 to the resulted number  76062.31 to get the average delay for all the tests in Microseconds.

Thanks and regards.
-Hassan

---

From: "Bhuvan \(Veryx Technologies\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:21:58 +0530

Dear Hassan,

The equation to calculate flow setup delay (Latency) is "Test Iteration
Duration (milliseconds)/Number of OpenFlow Responses Received from
Controller"

For example, the latency for 1st iteration is "10000/635968"  = 15.724062
Microseconds. Repeat the same for other iterations to compute Max, Min and
Average latency.

Regards,

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description:
Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Veryx-Logo
for Webinar

Bhuvan | Cloud and SDN Solutions

Phone: +91 44 4567 2222 x242

Mobile: +91 988 428 6693 

 <http://www.veryxtech.com/> www.veryxtech.com

From: bmwg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of hassan hatim
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 2:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] Latency test for an openflow controller

Dears

I did a latency test for an OpenFlow controller by cbench tool, the results
is bellow:

-K56CB:~$ taskset -c 0-3 cbench -c  localhost -p 6633 -m 10000 -l 14 -w 2 -M
100000  -i 50 -I 5 -s  1

   debugging info is off

RESULT: 1 switches 12 tests min/max/avg/stdev =
75473.69/77249.99/76062.31/614.30 responses/s

Does it right that the calculation for the latency is done by dividing
100000 to the resulted number  76062.31 to get the average delay for all the
tests in Microseconds.

Thanks and regards.

-Hassan