Subject: [bmwg] Document Action: 'Traffic Management Benchmarking' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:16:59 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Traffic Management Benchmarking'
  (draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management/

Technical Summary

This memo specifies the methodology for benchmarking the 
traffic management capabilities of networking devices (i.e. policing,
shaping, etc.). One challenge has been to provide a repeatable test method that
objectively compares performance of the device's traffic management
capabilities and to specify the means to benchmark traffic management
with representative traffic, including stateless and statefull traffic.
The consensus is that the challenge has been met, and its time to 
gain more experience with the procedures as specified.

Working Group Summary

There has been fairly continuous progress during development. The most lively
discussions were prompted by presentation of actual test results using
the draft methods, which require significant time investment but are well-
worth the result. These drafts serve a useful purpose for the industry.

Document Quality

As far as expert reviews, there was substantial review from several industry professionals, 
most notably one a CCNP, one a professional telecom industry consultant, 
and several from a vendor (Brocade).

Personnel

Al Morton is Shepherd, Joel Jaeggli is AD.