Subject: [bmwg] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-virtual-net-04: (with COMMENT)

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 19:04:07 -0700

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-virtual-net-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-virtual-net/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few mostly editorial comments:

- Abstract and Introduction: Missing "the" before "Benchmarking..."

-Abstract: Will the paragraph about new version history stay in the
RFC?

-1: Much of this section, especially the 2nd paragraph, reads like a
commercial, or a marketing white paper. I'm not going to put this in the
way of publication, but an IETF RFC should generally take a more neutral
tone. It's enough to acknowledge that people are doing (or plan to do)
NFV.

-2: Language of the form of "BMG will consider" will quickly become
dated. Consider something to the effect of "At the time of this writing,
BMG is considering/plans to consider..."

Can you offer a definition or citation for "bare metal"?

"Also,  benchmarking combinations of physical and virtual devices and
functions in a System Under Test.": Sentence fragment.

- 4.2, first paragraph, last sentence: Can you offer a citation for the
4x3 matrix?
:

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 04:01:24 +0000

Thanks for your comments, Ben.
Replies below,
Al

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ben Campbell [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:04 PM
> To: The IESG
> Cc: [email-masked]; Sarah Banks; bmwg-
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-virtual-net-04:
> (with COMMENT)
> 
> Please refer to https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
> 3A__www.ietf.org_iesg_statement_discuss-2Dcriteria.html&d=DwICaQ&c=LFYZ-
> o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=OfsSu8kTIltVyD1oL72cBw&m=y6we2cyixxo8T0gw-
> idCdkUcxRCVIqNQD8XACYawzNE&s=M3pFjJgySP3CYTuTKkgQtksIkC93L430esVdIusuJy0
> &e=
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
> 3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_draft-2Dietf-2Dbmwg-2Dvirtual-
> 2Dnet_&d=DwICaQ&c=LFYZ-
> o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=OfsSu8kTIltVyD1oL72cBw&m=y6we2cyixxo8T0gw-
> idCdkUcxRCVIqNQD8XACYawzNE&s=Sq70w7CDUjRA3PhtbYWSbXl4czOkUN1MNjvJkSDItRA
> &e=
> 
> 
> 
[ACM] 
no, the version history usually goes, too.

> BMG is considering/plans to consider..."
[ACM] 
OK, that's fine.
> Can you offer a definition or citation for "bare metal"?
[ACM] 
I first read this term in the context of hypervisor categories,
where Type 1 runs directly on the host hardware, called native or bare metal.
Type 2 is a hosted Hypervisor, running on the host OS (e.g., VBox).

Wikipedia provides this early citation:
Popek, Gerald J.; Goldberg, Robert P. (1974). "Formal requirements for virtualizable third generation architectures". Communications of the ACM. 17 (7): 412–421. doi:10.1145/361011.361073. Retrieved 2015-03-01.

"bare metal" has come to mean the compute hardware, 
a non-virtualized compute environment,
following acceptance of these hypervisor categories.
> functions in a System Under Test.": Sentence fragment.
[ACM] 
will fix
> - 4.2, first paragraph, last sentence: Can you offer a citation for the
 [ACM] 
The 3x4 matrix was first developed in this document, by the BMWG.

The original 3x3 matrix goes back to ANSI X3.102 Standard,
"User-Oriented Data Communications Framework", in the 1980s.

Someone from NTIA/ITS gave a talk including this matrix at IETF-38,
in the RTFM WG (possibly Neal Seitz):
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/38/ops/rtfm-2/sld014.htm

I'll add a citation for the 3x3 Matrix.