Subject: [bmwg] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv-03: (with COMMENT)

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 03:44:06 -0700

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv-03: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

One minor question:
sec 3.4: "The recommended flow classification parameters for any
vswitch
   performance tests are: the input port (physical or logical), the
   source IP address, the destination IP address and the Ethernet
   protocol type field."
Why does this not include the transport ports? Is it assumed that there
is always only one flow between two IP addresses during a test?

Minor editorial comment:
Not sure why it is so important to mention several times that this work
is done "by referencing existing literature" (without referencing any
additional work beside opnfv)...?

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 14:14:39 +0000

Hi Mirja,
thanks for your review, please see replies below.
Al, for the co-authors

> -----Original Message-----
> From: bmwg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mirja Kühlewind
> Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:44 AM
> To: The IESG
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]
> Subject: [bmwg] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-
> vswitch-opnfv-03: (with COMMENT)
> 
...
[ACM] 
It's certainly possible to classify on transport ports and other fields.
We'll add that in a parenthetical note:

... (although classification may take place on other fields, such as source and destination transport port numbers).

> additional work beside opnfv)...?
[ACM] 
Besides the abstract, we mention existing literature in the:

 - Intro, where the next sentence gives BMWG reference examples.
 
 - Section 3.1, with no references nearby

 - Section 4.0, with a list of references provided in the next sentence.

 - Again in Section 4.0, with no refs nearby (when introducing the figures)

We'll re-word the sentences with no refs nearby to avoid repetition.