Subject: [bmwg] RFC 8204 on Benchmarking Virtual Switches in the Open Platform for NFV (OPNFV)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 16:35:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8204

        Title:      Benchmarking Virtual Switches in the 
                    Open Platform for NFV (OPNFV) 
        Author:     M. Tahhan, 
                    B. O'Mahony,
                    A. Morton
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 49933
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8204

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8204

This memo describes the contributions of the Open Platform for NFV
(OPNFV) project on Virtual Switch Performance (VSPERF), particularly
in the areas of test setups and configuration parameters for the
system under test.  This project has extended the current and
completed work of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group in the
IETF and references existing literature.  The Benchmarking
Methodology Working Group has traditionally conducted laboratory
characterization of dedicated physical implementations of
internetworking functions.  Therefore, this memo describes the
additional considerations when virtual switches are implemented on
general-purpose hardware.  The expanded tests and benchmarks are also
influenced by the OPNFV mission to support virtualization of the
"telco" infrastructure.

This document is a product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC