Subject: Comments on Framework for Router Benchmarking

From: "Perser, Jerry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:57:48 -0700

I have a few comments:

1.2 General Definitions
Can you include a definition for FIB?  I'm not sure if this is a conceptual
table, or actual table in routers.  It would be useful to know what would be
stored, how it is maintained, and what the info would be used for.

1.2.1 Forwarding Decision.
I was brought up (years ago) that all devices do the 3 F's.  Every device
from a repeater to a gateway either Filters, Forwards, or Floods.  The only
difference is that each device has different rules for the 3F.  Routers
themselves do a type of flooding based upon multicast IP.  Can you expand on
the definition/discussion to include the 3F and multicast?

1.2.2 Router Port
Is the Router Port a physical or logical port?  I can take several physical
fibers and link them together to perform as a single physical link (one
vender has proposed using 12 fiber to represent a single 10Gbps link).  I
can trunk several ports together to look like a single network hop to
another router.  It will looks like a single L3 port to a L3 device.  A
router port should not be linked to the physical layer or data link layer. 

___________________________________________________________ 
Jerry Perser               Phone: 818.676.2320 
SmartLab Manager           Lab:   818.676.2337 
SmartBits Systems          Fax:   818.880.9165     
26750 Agoura Road          Corp:  818.676.2300 
Calabasas, CA, 91302       Pager: [email-masked]