Subject: [Fwd: Workplan Proposal: Benchmarking Terminology and Methodologyfor Routers Supporting Resource Reservation]]

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:07:30 -0500

BMWG,

The authors of the drafts on Resource Reservation benchmarking presented
at the 48th IETF and proposed that the BMWG undertake their work as
a new WG item.  While there was preliminary support at the WG meeting, there 
has been no follow-on WG feedback.  The authors have subsequently split the
the work into terminology and methodology drafts - though only the methodology
draft has been published by the I-D secretariat, as yet.
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-feher-bmwg-benchres-method-00.txt) 

So, should the BMWG support these new work item(s)?

-Kevin

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Workplan Proposal: Benchmarking Terminology and Methodologyfor Routers
         Supporting Resource Reservation
   Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:52:04 +0200
   From: Feher Gabor <[email-masked]>
     To: [email-masked]

Hi!

On the latest IETF meeting in Pittsburgh we presented our draft: Benchmarking
Terminology and Methodology for Routers Supporting Resource Reservation
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-feher-benchresres-00.txt) and there
was some initial support to our draft.

This draft is intended to compose benchmarking terminology and methodology for
routers running protocols, like RSVP, Yessir and other resource reservation
protocols that depends on signaling in an aspect of resource reservation
performance. Therefore, we define response and scalability metrics like:

* Signaling Message Handling Time
* Premium Traffic Extra Delay
* Best-effort Traffic Extra Delay
* Signaling Message Loss

Do you think that these terminology and methodology are adequate in benchmarking
the resource reservation capability of an IP router? Apart from that do you
think that we can capture with these metrics the impact of signaling on the
overall performance of the router? Please provide comments on our work.

Looking for your comments,
Gabor Feher