Subject: [Bridge-mib] Protocol Action: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with Traffic Classes, Multicast Filtering and Virtual LAN Extensions' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:35:55 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with Traffic Classes, Multicast 
   Filtering and Virtual LAN Extensions '
   <draft-ietf-bridge-ext-v2-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bridge MIB Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bridge-ext-v2-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base
   (MIB) for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP based
   internets.
   In particular, it defines two MIB modules for managing the
   capabilities of MAC bridges defined by the IEEE 802.1D-1998 (TM)
   MAC Bridges and the IEEE 802.1Q-2003 (TM) Virtual LAN (VLAN)
   standards for bridging between Local Area Network (LAN) segments.
   One MIB module defines objects for managing the 'Traffic Classes'
   and 'Enhanced Multicast Filtering' components of IEEE 802.1D-1998
   and P802.1t-2001 (TM).
   The other MIB module defines objects for managing VLANs, as
   specified in IEEE 802.1Q-2003, P802.1u (TM) and P802.1v (TM).

   Provisions are made for support of transparent bridging.
   Provisions are also made so that these objects apply to bridges
   connected by subnetworks other than LAN segments.

   This memo supplements RFC 1493bis [BRIDGE-MIB] and (to a lesser
   extent) RFC 1525 [RFC1525].  (NOTE 1493bis is in RFC-Ed queue as
   draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-smiv2-10.txt)

Working Group Summary
 
  The Bridge MIB Working Group discussed this document and approved
  its content in a Working Group Last Call process. All issues
  raised during the WG Last Call have been resolved, maintained in
  the RT system, and a summary of the resolutions was published to 
  the mailing list for comment. The WG recommends that this document
  be forwarded to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.

  It is the intention of the WG that subsequent mib module work for
  IEEE 802.1 technologies will be done by the IEEE 802.1 WG. There
  are some concerns about the quality of work likely to result from
  SNMP non-experts, but the IETF is providing MIB Doctor review of
  their mib module work during the transition.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  The document was reviewed in detail by John Flick, and discussed
  by several other MIB experts.  A number of IEEE 802.1 WG members,
  including the vice chair, were involved in discussions. 
  The discussions and clarifications resulted in editorial changes
  in the document. It is our belief that the document is at the
  appropriate quality for consideration as proposed standard. 
  Bert Wijnen has reviewed the document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor
 
Pls add the following to Section 2, at the bottom of page 3,
prior to section 2.1. 

NEW:

   This memo supplements RFC 1493bis, and obsoletes RFC 2674 [RFC2674].
   (NOTE for RFC Ed.: all instances of 'RFC 1493bis' will need to be
    updated to reflect the new RFC number for draft-ietf-bridge-
    bridgemib-smiv2-10.txt)

_______________________________________________
Bridge-mib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge-mib