Subject: [Bridge-mib] Doubt on 802.1w (max age)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:40:13 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

Setup:
     6 manageable switches are connected in linear fashion with root brdige
at top . In the root bridge ,max-age ,hellotime and forward-delay is
configured  as 6 ,1 and 4 .

Issue :
    In the sixth bridge ,learned value of max-age,hello time and forward
delay is found as 6 ,1 and 4.But the role of the port connected to
switch 6 alone is switching between F/R (Root) and F/D (Designated )

    We r using the source forge rstp source code for all 6 switches
    From 802.1w standard,I calculated the  rcvdinfowhile timer value for
the port connected to sixth switch as 1 (Calculation done from
updtRcvdInfoWhile()) .When port of switch 6 recieves BPDU  for every
hello time (1 sec) port role switches to F/R and on expiry of
rcvdInfoWhile timer expiry ( 1 sec ) port role switches to F/D .

   What do you think about it ?

_______________________________________________
Bridge-mib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge-mib

---

From: "Mick Seaman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:14:56 -0800

What I think about it is that you have Max Age set too low - I would suggest at least 8 in this scenario. The disputed procedure (I hope the code is to 1D-2004 with the two late editorial errors fixed as per the Vision sim release notes, alternately see 1Q-2005MSTP code which has these fixes) will stop there being a loop.

Mick
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: [email-masked] 
  To: [email-masked] ; [email-masked] ; [email-masked] ; [email-masked] 
  Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 1:10 AM
  Subject: Doubt on 802.1w (max age)

  Hi,

  Setup:

  Issue :

What I think about it is that you have Max Age set too low - I would suggest at least 8 in this scenario. The disputed procedure (I hope the code is to 1D-2004 with the two late editorial errors fixed as per the Vision sim release notes, alternately see 1Q-2005MSTP code which has these fixes) will stop there being a loop.

Mick
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: [email-masked] 
  To: [email-masked] ; [email-masked] ; [email-masked] ; [email-masked] 
  Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 1:10 AM
  Subject: Doubt on 802.1w (max age)

  Hi,

  Setup:

  Issue :