Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-calsch-itip-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:15:51 -0400

Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Calendaring and Scheduling Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: iCalendar Transport-Independent Interoperability 
                          Protocol (iTIP) Scheduling Events, BusyTime, 
                          To-dos and Journal Entries
	Author(s)	: S. Silverberg, S. Mansour, F. Dawson  Jr., 
                          R. Hopson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-calsch-itip-07.txt
	Pages		: 98
	Date		: 28-Sep-98
	
This document specifies how calendaring systems use iCalendar objects to
interoperate with other calendar systems. It does so in a general way so
as to allow multiple methods of communication between systems.
Subsequent documents specify interoperable methods of communications
between systems that use this protocol.
 
The document outlines a model for calendar exchange that defines both
static and dynamic event, to-do, journal and free/busy objects. Static
objects are used to transmit information from one entity to another
without the expectation of continuity or referential integrity with the
original item. Dynamic objects are a superset of static objects and will
gracefully degrade to their static counterparts for clients that only
support static objects.
 
This document specifies an Internet protocol based on the iCalendar
object specification that provides scheduling interoperability between
different calendar systems. The Internet protocol is called the
'iCalendar Transport-Independent Interoperability Protocol (iTIP)'.
 
iTIP complements the iCalendar object specification by adding semantics
for group scheduling methods commonly available in current calendar
systems. These scheduling methods permit two or more calendar systems to
perform transactions such as publish, schedule, reschedule, respond to
scheduling requests, negotiation of changes or cancel iCalendar-based
calendar components.
 
iTIP is defined independent of the particular transport used to transmit
the scheduling information. Companion memos to iTIP provide bindings of
the interoperability protocol to a number of Internet protocols.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-calsch-itip-07.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-calsch-itip-07.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-calsch-itip-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.