Subject: CAP comment, section 4.4.2, operational hours

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 10:18:32 -0500

Hi,

Section 4.4.2 of the CAP Requirements document states:

   CAP MUST specify:
...

     - How operational hours for a calendar are enforced

       Each calendar MUST have a property for operational hours, and
       CAP MUST specify how the CUA tells the CS to enforce those
       operational hours. This means that the CS prevents components
       from being added in a manner that violates the operational hours
       set by the user. CAP MUST specify how policy enforcement can be
       overridden by the owner of the calendar. CAP MUST specify
       whether this includes alarms. This might apply to direct booking
       or scheduling or both.

I don't recall that "operational hours" is a mandatory property for
iCalendar objects. Nor do I recall seeing a similar requirement in iMIP.
Wouldn't adding such a requirement only in CAP be the source of potential
interoperability problems?

Also, what about the case of a resource that may be available on a 24x7
basis? The above text indicates that the operational hours would always
have to be explicitly defined. It seems like this isn't a "MUST".

Paul

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:16:32 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: CAP comment, section 4.4.2, operational hours
> 
> Hi,
> 

They are yet to be defined, as are many other properties in the future that
will be unrelated to the 'core' objects.

Part of the CAP protocol will have to deal with capabilities.

> have to be explicitly defined. It seems like this isn't a "MUST".

The document describes CAP requirements, not CS or CUA requirements.

> Paul

-Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		http://www.royer.com/People/Doug
801 W. El Camino #131		Work:   (650)786-7599
Mountain View, CA 94040		Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL

---

From: "Lisa Lippert (Dusseault) (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:24:48 -0800

I agree with Doug -- CAP MUST define how operational hours can be set.  This
does not mean that every implementation has to be able to define or enforce
operational hours.  This does not mean that operational hours must be set or
enforced on every calendar on any implementation.

This kind of confusion comes up again and again -- the CAP requirements
state what the PROTOCOL must be able to do, not what the implementations
must do.  The CAP specification, yet to be done, will specify what
implementations must do.  

Paul, thanks for your comments on the requirements!

Lisa Lippert

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Royer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 1998 6:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: CAP comment, section 4.4.2, operational hours

-Doug