Subject: Re: Implementations of iCalendar and ICAP

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:23:08 -0500

>I was wondering what reference implementations of vCard, iCalendar
>and ICAP are out there?  
>

As mentioned in another message ICAP was not a product of the working
group. Instead the working group is working on the requirements for CAP,
prior to working on the CAP protocol itself.

vCard and iCalendar info:

Quite a while ago there was a zip file that contained some source for a
vCard and vCalendar parser. This was released by the Versit Consortium. I
think that Versit later assigned the rights to these and the specs to the
IMC. I don't know how much vCard has changed in the mean time. vCalendar
was used as the basis for iCalendar, but it has gone through quite a few
changes before appearing as an RFC.

I haven't been able to locate a current web site that distributes the zip
file containing the source. Perhaps Frank Dawson knows of a currently valid
distribution site.

KOrganizer, http://www.redhat.com/~pbrown/korganizer/ is an open source C&S
programm which incorporated support of vCard and vCalendar using the Versit
code.

It looks like the latest release was December 9th, 1998. It supports the
old vCalendar but has some unused code that makes reference to iCalendar.

From September on the subject:

>Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 14:24:48 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Preston Brown <[email-masked]>
>To: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: vCalendar implementation in popular desktop applications
>
>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Paul B. Hill wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> 
>> It looks like you've started to work on an iCalendar parser in your latest
>> tar distribution. How is the work going? When do you expect to have that
>> ready?
>> 
>
>Actually, that old stuff in the "attic" is from an attempt to write an
>icalendar parser almost a year ago, when icalendar was still a moving
>target.
>
>I don't think we'll be moving to iCalender until after 1.0. But we wil
>move for the next major release.
>
>---
> -Preston Brown
>  Red Hat Software, Inc.
>  [email-masked]
>
>

Paul

---

From: Preston Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 00:18:49 -0500 (EST)

> programm which incorporated support of vCard and vCalendar using the Versit

Somebody had to, no one else was doing it. :)

Really though, I want to make KOrganizer the best free/GPL PIM available
on Unix.  Right now we have quite complete vCalendar support, but I would
like to eventually move to iCalendar.  We are discussing on the mailing
list right now iMIP support.  Things are all very interesting.

There is a separate mailing list for discussing KOrganizer, if you are
interested.  Send mail with a SUBJECT of subscribe to
[email-masked].

---
 -Preston Brown
  Red Hat Software, Inc.
  [email-masked]